Friday, October 24, 2008

Crappy Long Run Attempt

What an effing disaster of a run. A couple of days ago I tried to convince Dani that stopping a run early wasn't a failed run, but an attempted run. Sure doesn't feel that way now that the shoe is on the other foot.

Took the day off as an early comp day for classes this weekend. The morning was way off any of my normal routines. I figured my lack of motivation was simply due to getting out late, and the attraction of the couch on a 'day off'. Got up at the normal time, had some OJ, then it took longer to get Kaitlyn to daycare and back, Val and I talked about the job thing, then finally it was 8:30. I suspected this wasn't going to be my best run ever, but I was going to go ahead and try for 22, anyway.

It was easily in the list of top 5 worst runs for this iteration of my running life. My left knee which had been quiet all morning, started mumbling loudly within 10 or 15 steps, my right knee which had been achy shut up at least. I felt leaden and blah, and after forcing myself up the hill and around to 19th, I got the run that divides the run in half and considered turning for home and making it a 3 mile run. My knee was achy and I could start feeling twinges from it into my quads and down my calf. I decided to take a GU at 2 miles in. It helped a little but my knee still hurt, and my energy level was way down. I gutted it out till 4.5 miles in and took another GU. I spent the last two miles looking down, like I do the LAST lap on a 22 miler.

I walked finally walked home after one lap, feeling like I had run 22, having done 6.2. I'm taking the weekend off for class and then we'll see how things go on Monday.

This hasn't done bright and happy things to my confidence and ego. I'm feeling better after a day of working for Val again and talking it out, but it's still pretty damn frustrating. A week ago I was talking smack about how I want to run 50 milers, and I can't run two high mileage weeks back to back.

That being said, my mileage growth, and schedule has been really inconsistent, and last week was WAY too aggressive. I hope that this was just my body saying: "Too much, too fast. Back it off."

Last 9 weeks (including this week), since the surgery, have been 22.66
25.93
27.88
14.06
37.04
40.76
32.61
46.99
24.97
A wee bit too aggressive I think.

Well... I'll see how next week goes. 2 more weekends for potential long runs, then the taper. We'll see if we get two in, and how long they are.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yeah... sometimes it's just not in the cards for the long runs... But, hopefully a little rest will do you some good!