Friday, October 17, 2008

10/15 Med. Long Run

Went out with the 'boys', B and C. I don't know why I keep going out with these sadistic bastards. :) Probably because they make me faster and stronger.

I had planned on either my normal 10 (around the lake, back up to SPU and back), or maybe 12 (two laps around the lake). B needed to get back for a meeting so he suggested go up Queen Anne, and then around the lake. Then I could add on mileage as needed. Sure, why not. I've wanted to run Queen Anne.

Now, since I 'm not even sure I have readers in the Seattle area, I'll explain why that combo is sadistic. To quote the wikipedia "the hill is the highest named hill in Seattle, Washington, with a maximum elevation of 456 feet ." Not a huge hill for lots of y'all, but around here...

So we start at an elevation of 50 feet at the parking garage, we're at 95 feet 3 tenths of a mile later, and at the base of the hills, at .75 miles at 135 feet. Dying seemed like a good option .25 miles later at 367 feet (a 230 foot elevation gain) after zig zagging through residential neighborhoods, then we finally get to Queen Anne and continue to the peak, and then down some quad busting, knee destroying hills, back to the lake.

We got stuck trying to get to the bridge and froze our asses off for 3 or 4 minutes. Getting started again sucked. Cold sweaty clothes and muscles starting to cool down.

The boys bailed out on me at 7.5 miles or so, and I went out to the lumberyard after SPU and back to finish out my miles, whimpering and using a mantra I read recently on an ultrarunner site; "Relentless Forward Motion."

If I added all the odd little detours and twists and turns correctly I did 12.47 in 2:01:37 (about 9:45/mile), with a fastest mile in there of 8:21. Certainly not an 'ultra' run by any means, but a real test of will to finish. I don't even feel bad about having to walk on a run (up that 230 feet in .25 mile section)for the first time in months.

Queen Anne kicked my ass, and I'm going to have to go back and run it again till I'm happy with the results.

No comments: