Friday, October 31, 2008

10/30 Recovery Run

Worked from home so I ran 6 miles, out and back down 35th. Felt really slow, but the pace was about 9:30, so not too bad. Finished in aroun 56 minutes. Haven't done this run in a while since the loop around the block is more interesting, but something I read recently about IT band issues mentioned that one of the contributing causes can be repeated runs on the same route (camber on road/sidewalk apparently).

I've been looking for a foam roller since last weeks mileage debacle. Suprisingly none of the convenient running stores carry them. I'm pretty sure Road Runner does but it was a bit inconvenient. I had the brainstorm that Silver Lake Physical Therapy, which is on the block, and thus gets passed a lot on my long runs might carry one. (They normally have some good inspirational/though provoking quotes up on their billboard. Best one from a few weeks ago "It's not all about winning. It's all about trying to. i liked it.) I gave them a call and they do carry them so I ran out and got one.

I was told that told, either by C, or by the PT we had in for that talk a few weeks ago, that rolling out your IT band is one of the most excruciating things you can voluntarily do to yourself. Quite possibly a true statement, and I probably wasn't even doing it right. Supposedly it gets 50% better each week. :) Good guides here at Running Times and here (obnoxious site, but good info on using the roller)

Seems to be working, but it's hard to tell since I'm now getting sore from the Wednesday run. :)

3 comments:

Da Doo Run Run said...

Hey! My cousin was supposed to run the Marine Corps Marathon in DC but couldn't due to some kind of knee/hip thing (I think). He told me that he purchased a foam roller and that it worked wonders. Now, I have no idea what one even is, but I thought I'd pass that on. And he tried everything else first - physical therapy, massages, you name it. Oh, and thanks for the shout out in your blog. I'm famous!

MomOf4 said...

Thank you for your nice comment on my baby blog. :) I am going to go back in your posts now and see what a foam roller is! I have been getting way behind in my blog reading lately with all the baby doctor appointments. It looks like you are doing really well with your running! I am kind of excited to get back into running again after Newbie comes! :)

Anonymous said...

I hear very good things about the foam roller. I use the Trigger Point therapy kit, but it's expensive. There's a link to TP on my blog if you're interested in learning more about it.