Thursday, October 9, 2008

10/04 New Kicks

Had my Dad (he's been in town for a few days) drive us down to Balanced Athlete so I could show him the shoe fitting process and get a new pair of kicks. Upgraded to the ASICS Gel Foundation 8s (I had the 7s). They say they're around an ounce lighter and I can feel the difference. They feel pretty good so far. Also got some socks with a higher cuff to cover my ankles so I can protect them a little bit.

The woman who helped me suggests that the ankle kicking problem is form related, which come to think of it, Eric suggested as well. I'm a little pigeon toed on that foot. I 'just' need to start strengthening the muscles of my right leg to support the correct form, and start paying attention to the form more consistently.

I've had mixed thoughts about the caffeine in the GUs I've been taking. The sales woman suggested that the caffeine was to assist absorption of the GU and wasn't enough to affect performance one way or another. Worth some research. I have this vague feeling that using caffeine during a race is equivalent to taking something performance enhancing. I obviously need to spend a run or two thinking about it. :) Picked up a few caffeine free GUs while I was at a store that had some. Got some Sharkies, since a lot of people seem to like them.

I discovered they changed the shape of the shoe a little when I got home. Still feel really good, but I can't wear my SuperFeet in them. The toe box seems bigger, and I can feel the edge of the insole with my big toe. I'll put the sock liner back in and see how that does.

1 comment:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Sign me up for the caffeine if it's performance enhancing! ;)