Friday, January 15, 2010

1/7 Run

Thursday's run was a psychologically painful run, inspired by a rereading of Hadd's theory for low heart rate training (similar to all the others, except he takes the base HR even lower). I decided to go out around the lake and see how running like I did for the base building period in the beginning of the year, and theoretically should still be, would go.

Holy effing crap. Now I remember why I was so glad to stop this the last time I did it. I've been running over 75% MHR for a reason. And that reason is enjoyment! This really is one of those things that if I have to run like that too much, I probably won't run. And I supposedly still get some benefit at the higher pace. I just need to run longer. And I need to run closer to the McMillan recommended paces. I've been pushing the limits on that, especially for normal runs, so just need to suck it up and slow down a a touch.

I think the problem is that all the people who talk about this are using examples of people who are much faster. As in competitive. As in the example Hadd uses is a guy who can do 7:22/mile at ~75% MHR. I've got things to do, and a run to enjoy. :)

This run, and then the brain meandering it inspired was a very good reminder that the training doesn't have to be PERFECT. Perfect in the "sports science knows best" way. Doing something is better than doing nothing. The only perfect training plan is one you'll execute. I really wish I could get this one out of my head and onto paper the way I want. Grrrr. Maybe I'll just try again later. :)

Weather wasn't bad, high 40s, and a mild drizzle.

6.45 miles in 1:05:04 (10:05/mile) @ 141 bpm (75% MHR)

No comments: