Wednesday, July 30, 2008

An Unexpected Running Partner

6.11 miles in 52:11 (8:32/mile)

Went out for the last run for a while at lunch. Comfortably cool at around 60. While in the locker room another runner started suiting up as well. We talked for a sec, and then I headed out. He caught up to me a t a crosswalk, and we decide to run together.

Turns out he's run a couple of marathons and is just coming back from an injury. He's had cramping problems late in all of his marathons, but he'd run about a 4:15 marathon, which is what I think I could do, so our pace was pretty evenly matched. It was pretty cool that he turned out to be an Oracle DBA at our sister company, a job I've only been doing for a bout a year, so now I have someone else to ask stupid questions of. :)

At the Freemont bridge I was going to continue down the ship canal trail, and I discovered he was running around the lake. This has been a goal of mine for a while, and I'm feeling good so I decided to go for it. I'm glad I did. We kept a pace we could both converse at, and I was able to finally figure out how to get back on Eastlake, which is one of the reasons I haven't run it solo yet. (Stairs, you cant seem them in the overhead imagery)

Really good run, and a nice cap to the week. Managed to bang out 16.75 miles this week, in 3 days. A good way to set up to take a break on.

Surgery tomorrow at 1, I'll try to post in the evening, but it might not be till Friday.

2 comments:

Da Doo Run Run said...

Good luck with the surgery.

Great that you found a running partner. I have never run with anyone but am running a race with a friend and possibly my husband in September. Looking forward to seeing if the time goes quicker when I have someone to talk to!

What I wouldn't do to run in 60 degrees again.

Run For Life said...

Good luck with the surgery!