Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Umbilical Hernia

Apparently my self diagnosis is correct.  That little squishy bit is intestine being pushed back in.  Whee.  :)

So.  I have an umblilical hernia. (amusingly, so does my dog, but his healed closed when he was a puppy, leaving a cute bubble instead of a belly button.  :)).  I've got an appointment with the surgeon on Friday and they'll evaluate it and see what kind of repair is necessary.  My doc certainly confirmed that I have one at my belly button, but she thought she felt another one, or something anyway, a few inches to the right as well.  

As long as I don't have pain, and can reduce (push back in) anything that comes up, I can run.  If I feel pain or discomfort, I'm to stop.  (Which, unlike my knee, I will actually do.)  Recovery time from the surgery may be from 2 to 6 weeks, but it depends on the amount of work they have to do.  I'll know more on Friday.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I've had a painless hernia since I was little, which is kind of gross, but hasn't caused any problems. Hopefully you'll be okay!

Da Doo Run Run said...

Well, that certainly sucks. Hopefully it won't sideline you for long. I suspect it won't.