Friday, July 25, 2008

No Pressure 6 Miler

6 miles in 57:54 (9:38/mile)

Forced myself out the door at 8:45 (64 degrees) and walked down to the start point. Had told Val that I had 5 on the books, but I might run 3, or some distance between the two. I wasn't really motivated to go out at all. I was feeling tired, and blah, and why bother.

This hernia thing is really playing hob with my motivation. Knowing that I'll have to take some undefined amount of time off, maybe not run the marathon, have to go backwards in my mileage after recovery to get back to where I am when I have the surgery , etc. is making me want to just say eff it, why bother.

This run really helped with the motivation though. I was walking down telling myself that I was really only running for the marathon, and that I don't really enjoy running that much anyway. I just let myself start slowly, zone out, stop at every light I couldn't make it past, and even with some knee discomfort at mile 4 an on, I realized that I was just lying to myself. I run because I like to run. Having a goal makes it easier to get out and not make excuses, but I like to run.

The blog entries in response to this weeks Runner's Lounge Take it and Run Thursday helped too.

Appointment about the hernia in a few hours, we'll see what they have to say. Since I know everyone is waiting with baited breath to see if there's a permanent way to keep my intestinal tract inside my abdominal cavity, I'll post this evening with what they have to say. :)

splits:
took them out of habit, but since I stopped (didn't run in place, didn't try to go around) at every stop light that wasn't timed right, and since the point of this run was to just go run for running's sake, I'm not recording them

No comments: