Monday, July 7, 2008

Night Owl Long Run

8.06 mile in 1:12:14 (8:57/mile)

Another late night left for this at 9:45. Really comfortable at around 58 degrees. I'm sure I ran too fast this run. My right knee is really stiff today. It could be the dog's head took to the knee when I was at the dog park with Toby, too. I normally run today (Monday) but I'm just going to do it on Tuesday instead. I think it was the mile long downhill. I had some knee pain in my left knee, my right arch, by the heel started to hurt, and when I stopped, my right groin ached. (probably from compensating for the other aches. I sound like I'm falling apart, but it all pretty much went away when I stopped.

I stopped by the Bicycle Center on Sunday and picked up a variety of carb replacement products, and some NUUN. I wanted to try the NUUN to add electrolytes to water without carbs for the long runs. All they had was Kona Cola. Hmmm.. Drinkable, but it felt odd on my stomach on the run. Not sure if it was dinner or the NUUN. It settled out by about mile 6. :) I'll start trying carb replacements starting either next week (9 miles) or the week after (10 miles).

I got two flavors each of Hammer Gels, GU, Sports Beans, and Clif Bloks. We'll see how they all work and then I'll make a decision on what I'll use. I'm leaning towards Clif Bloks, and NUUN in combination. We'll see. I probably need to try Gatorade as well.

splits:
mile1- 9:05
mile2- 9:43 (a little long, thus the next is a little short)(the long hill)
mile3- 8:28
mile4- 8:49
mile5- 8:43
mile6- 9:02
mile7- 8:51
mile8- 9:03 (the long downhill)
0.06 - :32 (8:53 pace)

2 comments:

Matt Hart said...

i'd say you are on track with your nutrition/hydration needs. try them all out and see what works for you. except gatorage! man that stuff is bad. high fructose corn syrup. actually you should try it, but i can almost guarantee it will mess your stomach up.

nuun and clif shots are my favorites.

Da Doo Run Run said...

Sorry I have been an MIA commenter! I have read everything, just usually on the fly with no time to comment. This latest post is all Greek to me, so I have no words of wisdom. Hope the shingles thing has worked itself out. I take Valtrex for cold sores and always get embarrassed picking up that particular prescription from the pharmacy!! Oh, and L can't blow out birthday candles on command. The picture was misleading. She really gets no good air out, just makes the face. I'm sure i'm missing something noteworthy, but I'll stop here. 8 miles!!!! You've come a long way since starting C25K!