Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Monthly Weigh In - June

Did the weigh in Monday after I dropped Kaitlyn off at daycare.






01 Jan
01 Feb
01 Mar
31 Mar
30 Apr
30 May
29 Jun

Neck
16.25
16.25
15.75
15.375
15.125
15
15

Waist
44.75
43.25
41.5
39.5
38.75
37
36 7/8

Bodyfat%
33.5
31.5
30.1
27.3
26.5
23.9
23.7

Weight
208
200
193.5
186
179.5
173
167.5


This month was a slower loss month. I started eating about 2-300 under maintenance instead of 500 under because of the increased run lengths, so I only killed 5.5 pounds this month. Not seeing more drops in numbers was a little frustrating, but hey, it is what it is.

The original goal weight was 165, and I'm obviously 2.5 pounds from that. I've pretty much revised my goal to 160 after seeing that I've still bit a jiggly pouch still, and I'm not quite at the body fat level I'd like to be at. I'm planning on going to eating at my maintenance level, and most if not all of my run calories, starting this month. It certainly feels odd to eat 2100 calories instead of 1600. I feel like I'm going to gain it all right back.

The current plan is that I'm not going to replace walks to and from the bus when I ride it to work and back (1.25 miles or so total), I'm going to replace run mileage at 100 calories a mile instead of 130 which is what most of the math appears to put it at for my weight, and I'm not going to replace walks with Toby either.

If I assume 3 days a week on the bus (12 times a month), 3 1.8 mile walks of Toby a week (12 days a month) and 25 mile weeks for running, that works out to a little over a pound each month, and around 6 by the marathon. I can live with that. I think it meets the goal, but lets me actually eat to support my running.

I'm still figuring out how to add the calories from runs back into my daily consumption. I'm well aware I'm being an obsessive compulsive over this, but I want to get it right. Or something resembling it. I'm not a natural eater by any means, and if I let 'hunger' be my guide I'm going to be right back to where I started.

I'm torn between adding the average of my weekly miles to each day (21 miles that week means an extra 300 calories per day), and adding the run mileage for the day to that day (run 3 miles add 300 calories). I think I lean towards the adding on the day of the run, possibly with the variation that on the really long runs I split the cal ores between the day of the run and the next day. I'm not sure I can add 2000 calories to a single day on a 20 mile run day.

The other challenge is adjusting my diet to "eat like an athlete". I can't fill the extra calories with junk food and empty calories or it defeats the purpose. I had a lot of filler junk food the last two days, and while it was nice, I really want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the butt. More research required here. :)

1 comment:

*lisa* said...

Using what I do know to benefit someone at least:

after anything you run over an hour, try to replace ~200 of the calories in the form of carbohydrates plus a bit of protein within 2 hours of finishing the run. A bagel or quart of Gatorade (carbs, obviously), or a big glass of low-fat chocolate milk (carbs plus protein for muscle rebuilding) should do the trick most of the time. The rest of the calories can be made up however you want - I suggest healthy (but not gut-busting) pasta dinners the two nights prior to long runs.