Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Almost Back to Normal 5 Miler

5 miles in 45:01 (9:00/mile)

Went out on Tuesday a little earlier than normal so I could get back and eat dinner, around 8:45. This was a good demonstration to myself of the effects of poor nutrition and hydration and it's effect on a run. I felt heavy and slow all run. Part of that was this was the fastest I've run in a while, because, when I started at least, my knee just felt tight, no pain.

No excuse, but my diet and hydration pretty much sucked before this run. We thought Kaitlyn had Pink Eye and Val was deadlined with a case of the stomach flu, so I got to babysit for both of them. :) I spent a lot of time chasing a very spicy little miss and an unfortunately large portion of my calories for the day came from Bite Size Snickers, Hershey's Kisses, and White Cheddar Cheetos. Most of my fluids came from Caffied Free Diet Pepsi. Not the best combination for a run, but I didn;t wat to eat at 7:30 and wait for 2 hours for dinner to settle. Now that I think about it, I could have just popped a GU for some energy and ridden that high. :)

Run started out feeling pretty good, but it was pretty obvious very quickly that I had picked the wrong pair of alternate shorts to wear for this run. I had dropped all my running gear off in the office, intending to run at work this week. All I had around were a pair of my old Army Grey running shorts. I ended up having to tuck them into my skivvies to keep them from falling off of my ass after I almost lost them sprinting across a cross street. I'll be throwing those shorts out. :)

Mad it to the turnaround feeling reasonably good. A slight side stitch, obviously attributable to pushing. Turned around and tried to keep pushing. Not happening. Then the downhill started beating up on my knee, so I really slowed down. Once I finally got back on the level everything worked itself back out, but I tried to keep a slightly slower pace. When I finally stopped my knee was a little 'warm' but no sharp pains. Right now it's a little sore, but much better than even on Monday. I'll probably wait to run till tomorrow though. I think driving in instead of taking the bus did more harm than the run though.

I got heckled from a car, and while it doesn't bother me because a lot of the time, people just suck ( :) ) but it does make me wonder if we can pass a law allowing runners (and maybe cyclists ) to carry paintball guns so they can 'heckle' back. :)

splits:
mile1 - 8:51
mile2 - 8:33
mile3 - 8:44 (up and down the danged hill)
mile4 - 9:44 (about 20 seconds at a light, bit I was thrashed from the hill)
mile5 - 9:10

1 comment:

MomOf4 said...

Wow! You have really increased your distance since I last checked in! Great job! I have some big news on my blog! :)