Sunday, July 20, 2008

Late Night 10 Miler

10.2 miles in 1:37:55 (9:35/mile)

First time breaking double digits on a run, and first week over 20 (21. but it counts. :)). Whoo hoo! :) Did this Saturday night in about 60 degrees.

Yet another late night run. I was going to run this in the morning, but Val asked me to run in the evening since she hasn't been feeling well and wasn't sure if she had the energy to deal with Kaitlyn by herself for 2 hours. We sent her to the clinic instead and found out that she has the start of strep throat, pink eye, a stomach flu, and a compacted lower intestine. Wheee. :(

I got my new 'hydration system' that I've been babbling about, so I did the anally retentive thing, washed the new bottles and uses some permanent marker to mark the bottles every 2 ounces so I could get a better feel for how much I'm drinking. The goal was 24 oz an hour, or 6o every 15 minutes for those of you who are math challenged. This seems to be right in the middle of the range according to Hammer Nutrition for amount of water that can be absorbed in an hour, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I only did water since I now that I know I can handle NUUN, I don't really need it at runs of this length. I also took along 2 packs of Sports Beans to take at 45 min and 30 minutes later.

Got on the road at around 9:30. Had a keychain flashlight and my reflective vest, and my cell phone in case I ran into any problems. First little bit went just fine. Some minor fussing to get the belt for the bottle carrier just right, and to get used to having it around my waist. I'm pretty happy with it. Even filled, it's pretty low impact. It came with 2 front pockets that I took off because it made it look a little like a toolbelt, and I think in hindsight I should have gotten the 'Elite' version with the pocket in the lower back instead of the drawstring. It would be better to hold gels, etc. I'll obviously use what I have and see if my opinion changes. It's a bit of a challenge getting the bottles back in one handed, but I think that's a technique issue, and should get better as I break it in. Also, the permanent marker on the bottles rubbed off after the first 2 times I took the bottle out. I'll have to figure something out.

Tried my first pack of Sports Beans at around 45 minutes in. I started with the Lemon Lime pack. and they were tasty. Once I could breathe again. Apparently, learning to eat on the run is going to require some practice. I don't appear to breathe when I chew, so 15 or 20 of those little buggers made for some gasping and wheezing till I started to get it figured out. I took me about 1/2 a mile to get them all eaten and washed down with water. I think I felt a bit of a pep about 5 or 10 minutes later that lasted for about a mile or two. I did notice that just as my pep was starting the I had a 'side split' at around my belly button. A fairly sharp pain, but it subsided a little as the remainder of the run progressed.

I slogged my way back up and down the slight hills on this route. The reason I picked this route was the fact that there was only about 50 feet of difference between min and max altitude. My other 3 options were from 125 to 175. My knee just had a warning light on the whole run, but now sharp pains, I suspect it would have been ugly on one of the other routes.

Had the other pack of Sports Beans, Berry Blue, at just after mile 8, 30 minutes later. About 1/2 mile to eat them again, but easier on the breathing. Did notice both times that they are a little acidic. Could feel it come up with some belches. That could have been overhydration too. I think I didn't need all of the water I drank, but since I didn't do a before and after weigh in I can't be sure.

Finally got done, feeling pretty good, and on the walk back decide to check out my belly button pain. It felt (and continues to feel) a little squishy. After some research to confirm my fears, I think I have an umbilical hernia. Sometimes it feels 'squishy' and I can push on it and it's like it goes back in. Honestly, I'm terrified. I'm calling the doc in the morning, but it's scaring the crap out of me. Probably because I just don't know what's going on, or what my options are. All of the worst cases keep running through my mind. Death, never being able to run, surgery and marathon and having to start over, etc... We'll just have to see I guess.

splits:
mile1 - 9:28 (stopped just before marker to retie shoe)
mile2 - 9:49
mile3 - 9:42
mile4 - 9:34
mile5 - 9:55 (had lemon lime sports bean starting @ 4.5, actually 1.02; 9:43)
mile6 - 10:09(actually 1.02; 9:57)
mile7 - 9:45
mile8 - 9:23 (had berry blue sports beans, took .5 miles to eat)
mile9 - 10:59 (actually 1.16 (trying to avoid running in place at a light), 9:28 pace. dropped a bottle)
mile10 - 9:12

4 comments:

*lisa* said...

congrats on the double digit run - I feel like it will be ages until I get there! Keep up the great work :)

Greg On the Run said...

Good for you, Aaron. going longer is stepping into the unknown and I think that's part of the allure of the marathon. The good news is that the next time you're training for a marathon, you may actually relish doing the longer runs. I look forward to doing the long runs.

Good info on the water bottle and belt. I have a Fuel Belt and I'll never buy another one. Can't wait until this one breaks or get worn out.

Da Doo Run Run said...

Congrats on the double-digit run! Big milestone!

Yuck about Val. Hope she feels better soon and you and K aren't affected!

I'll be interested to see what your doc has to say about the umbilica hernia. I had a friend who had to have one surgically repaired. I don't think the recovery was too bad.

Laura said...

Huge milestone to do 10! Now that you're over that hump, you'll be surprised how easy it is to add miles.