Monday, November 9, 2009

11/7 Medium Long Run

Friday the 6th was a rest day , so I took lunch and walked over to REI and picked up a pair of Injinji toe socks. They had been suggested online as a good choice to avoid inter-toe blisters among other benefits, so I thought I'd pick up a pair and try them out. Snagged a basic pair of MiniCrews in white, and a pair of down filled slippers for Val and walked back to the office.

Tried them on once I got to the office, and they got worn home. The joy of new socks (mmmmm... I'd wear a brand new pair of socks every day if I were rich.) They aren't exactly a sock you just 'slip' on. You actually have to pay attention to the process. Once you get used to feeling something against the webs of your toes they are super comfortable. They ain't cheap, and they're kind of creepy looking, but I'm probably going to get another couple of pairs.

On Saturday, up at 5:30, out the door by 6:15. iPhone and the outdoor thermometer agreed, it was 48, but felt MUCH cooler, and windy. Spent a few minutes debating clothing and ended up running in tights and long sleeve shirt. Threw my gloves in one of the pouches on the belt, along with all the other sundries for a longish run and got on the road.

Thighs definitely kept the wind off, and it was conveniently dry, with threatening clouds promising a drenching later. I probably would have been fine with my shorts, but I'm still getting dialed in to the new default temperatures.

Still feeling good from Carkeek, a little tightness in hamstring and calf from the tempo run on Thursday, but the full rest day seems to have worked it's magic.

Garmin was all over the fricking place as far as reporting pace. Frustrating, but not a lot you can do other than to take a reading when you know how it reads and how you feel match, and try to keep the pace. Lots of runners out for their long runs. Seattle must be in 3 weeks. :)

Wore the Injinji's for this run. Was really nice to be able to wiggle my toes on the move and release some tension in my feet. They're a bit thinner than my other socks so there was a bit of movement, and a potential hotspot in my right foot. I think slightly tighter lacing would handle the problem.

Actually chatted briefly with a pair of ladies that were training for the half. They looked nice and strong. I hope I wasn't committing a faux pas, or being obnoxious. :|

Had my shirt sleeves up by 3 miles and back down by 10 as I hit a cold pocket that had my breath visible in the air. You could feel the temperature drop and see the clouds come in to start their pounce. They held off till mile 12, and then the skies just opened up. And rained the rest of the day. :)

Speaking of tighter lacing... About 7 miles in I felt a pinch on the top of my left foot. Nothing particularly painful, and I knew right away it was the lacing rubbing either the top of my foot or the tendon. Nothing to worry about, since it come sup a lot so I tweaked the tongue of the shoe till I didn't feel it as much, then ignored it and kept moving.

14.21 miles in 2:10:33 (9:11/mile) @ 157 bpm

The rubbing ended up being a bit more serious that it felt. By a few hours later I was suffering pretty significant swelling and pain on the top of my right foot. Some feeling around showed that it was soft tissue, but not particularly fun. I bailed out of my Sunday run in the morning when my alarm went off. The swelling was down, but it was still tender to the touch. By the end of Sunday I was walking around pretty normally, but still had some pain if I laced shoes too tight or put on the wrong shoes.

Monday I bitched about it on Facebook, and 4 hours later, after some ice at work and a pair of Motrin, I wouldn't have known it was there. Of course. Don't know how I forgot to ice all weekend. Doh! I didn't take any NSAIDs since I've been trying to dial back my usage after learning they can actually interfere with the healing process.

No comments: