Monday, November 16, 2009

11/15 Long Run

Last long run of the training cycle. And, if you exclude Carkeek and my one 17 mile run (long medium-long run?, short long run?), my only long run. :) Now... taper time!

Got a late start thanks to Toby and a pain in the ass digestive system, so I didn't get on the road till around 6:40. About 30 minutes late. Grumble...

Temp was a bit warmer than Saturday, and the wicking/wet ass thing made me try switching my top for a generic longsleeve driFit. Wore the Outdoor Injinjis again, because, well, they're comfy. :) Started with gloves, but they were off by the second mile. Temps were in the low 40s. It spat a bit for the first few miles, then cleared up nicely.

Really noticed how water resistant the jacket was this time. Felt like I had puddles in my elbows, and it appears that it's the jacket that's dumping the sweat onto my ass. By the time I was done I was soaked about halfway down my thighs. Cold. It keeps the wind off though, and that was a blessing.

Fueling was 5 GUs over the course of the run, and since I couldn't figure out reloading of water bottles, hydration was 2 bottles. which worked out fine since the temp was low. Back to considering a hydration pack again... :) It's more weight o haul, but if I keep going long...

I've been chewing over routes for this run for a few days. I didn't want to do my 14 mile loop with the repeated small loops like I normally do. Just not feeling it. This transformed into modifying the 14 mile loop by lopping off this vestigial leg that it has and doing it twice.

By the time I got on the road and was a few miles in, finishing just one loop was going to be a challenge. The first 8 miles of this run were, even if the speed doesn't show it when I look at the splits, a death march. Probably influence by the fast 6 on Saturday. I tried to use Garmin and keep a target pace for the first 2 or 3 miles, and then stopped looking at the watch and started running by feel. Which seems to have worked out pretty well actually.

Things broke free just after mile 8 chirped on Garmin. Suddenly, I felt like the run was much easier, and I was able to keep a much better pace. I kept running by feel, just checking more on HR (trying to keep it < 153) than on pace.

I decided that with how much of a slog the first third of the run was that doing two loops was excessively sadistic, so I headed towards home to do a loop around the block to get the other miles in. This strategy also had the additional advantage that if I decided that things were horrible at mile 16, I could hang a left and run the .75 miles to home, instead of being trapped 4 miles away.

Streets were very quiet. A handful of walkers, and maybe 2 or three more runners. Saturday must be long run day around here. :)

Pace ended up being much better than I though it would be, but about 10 seconds/mile slower than I'd have preferred for my ego and my head space before the race.

Some mild soreness in the extensor tendons again after the run. Nothing like last weeks pain, but something. After some thought, I suspect that it is the Injinjis. I think that they are affecting the way my feet behave, what with the separate toes, etc. Probably for the better, but not something I want to mess with this close to an 'A' race. Back to regular socks for a few weeks and the race, and then I'll start mixing the Injinjis back in until I strengthen my feet.

20.1 miles in 3:06:47 (9:18/mile) @ 153 bpm

No comments: