Friday, August 21, 2009

8/20 Run - 5:1 Experiment

Another evening run, out on the road around 9:30, clockwise around the block at home. Much more human of a temperature in the mid 60s with a breeze. Much better. :)

I've been feeling a little off the last couple of nights, so I decided to do the run 5, walk 1 experiment I've talked about a couple of times. The ultra runners apparently recommend the combo, so I thought I'd see how it felt. I kept my HR the same during the run component, and just walked during the walk.

I messed up the interval timer on the watch at first and was on a 5hour/1hour interval. Changed that a couple minutes in and started things up again. I had hoped to see that the speed would be the same since I hoped the pace would be a bit higher during the run segments. Not so much.

Felt like it took much longer to warm up than normal. The first 3 or 4 transitions between running and walking caused some twinges and aches I didn't expect.

I certainly felt much less 'tired' when I finished.

I'll be curious to try this during a longer run, say 16 or more and see how it does. It may be worth experimenting with a slightly higher heartrate during the run section to keep the overall pace up.

6.17 miles in 1:06:21 (10:45/mile) @ 137 bpm

No comments: