Monday, August 3, 2009

7/31 Run and Swim

Cool enough to run outside again (low to mid 70s @ 9:45) , and I wanted to swim again, so I drove to the gym and ran counter clockwise around the block from there.

Forgot my hat, which made a pleasant difference in cooling. That and the haircut. :) Need to get a visor for hot weather.

Finally figured out how to get ht back light to stay light on the Garmin. For a 405, go to menu | Settings | System | Backlight | Timeout. Change it to Stays On. Then the double touch turns it on and off. Much better than having to turn it on all the time. And, as was pointed out in a Runner Loungecast, it improves your visibility at night.

6.16 miles in 1:01:43 (10:00/mile) @ 141 bpm

By the time I was done with the run it was pretty late, which made it easy to get into the pool since the lanes were open. Every one in the pool are awas either using the saunas or the hot tub.

I felt mildly selfconscious with the couple of guys who in the 20 minutes I was swimming never moved form their chairs in front of the sauna. Like they were sitting on their porch, watching the world go by.

Hit 500 and thought I might try for 600, got about a quarter of a length down the pool and came back. Just didn't have it in me. The wobbly sensation when I got out of the pool went away this time. Is that normal, the wobbly thing after a swim workout? Had to go back out anyway to snag my keys from the bottom of the bool though. The clip on the keys just didn't hold.

Alternated 'freestyle' and backstroke. Reminds me of the Couch To 5K intervals. :) Spent some more time with my face in the water working on my breathing (such as it is) and such during the 'freestyle' segments.

500 yds in the Pool in ~19:30

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never have it in me to go swimming, which is too bad because it's hot outside and very hard to get injured in the pool.