Thursday, July 30, 2009

7/29 Run and Swim

Another day at the gym to beat the heat. And no snarky comments to mix up my commentary. Just amazed that peoples limbs don't fall off as fast as they elliptical... Wow.

6.0 miles @ 0% in 1:00:00 (10:00 min/mile pace) @ 149 bpm avg

More data is needed, but this run may confirm my theory that I run better on the third day in a row. Overall average HR was down a few points, and the first half/second half difference was nowhere near as dramatic. Deflection point happened about 5 minutes earlier, but the change was more gradual. The first half was at roughly 146 bpm, the second half was closer to 154 bpm.



More towel timing problems, but they had some by time I was done, s0 I sauntered to the pool for another try. Fortunately a lane was open, by the time I got changed so I didn;t have to kill time, or figure out how to share a lane. This time, the goal was to keep the workout relaxed, fun, and as aerobic as I could. I did forget to take the band aids off my nipples till halfway through the swim, embarrassingly enough. :|

I don't know enough about swimming to accurately name or pick strokes, so I'm just playing right now to try and get more comfortable in the water, build some endurance, and some more upper body strength.

I started with a crawl variation with my arms out of the water, but my head up for 100 yards, with a short break each 50 yards to reset myself and take a break. I realized I'm not comfortable enough to swim that stroke slowly, so it wasn't very aerobic. Watching one of the other swimmers, I decided to try a two-armed backstroke for 50 yards, and that worked very well.

I decided to stick with that, and alternated modified crawl for 50 yards, and backstroke for 50 yards. Seemed to work well to get my HR down, and I was able to experiment with alternating arm backstrokes a couple of times. Was also able to breathe off my right side for a half a length when experimenting with true freestyle.

500 yards in ~22 minutes. No speed records, but a VERY nice improvement in enjoyment and workout.

No comments: