Tuesday, July 28, 2009

7/27 Run and First Pool Laps

It's been unpleasantly warm in the Northwest, so I deferred my run until the evening and dragged myself to the gym and the treadmill in the 'air conditioning'.

I decided that I'd just set the pace and just record the heart rate data instead of running based on heart rate like normal. Especially since it get so hot on the treadmill that it jacks my HR up every time.

Original plan was 1 mile warm up, 4 miles 'tempoish', 1 mile cool down. At some point in to the first mile of the 'tempo' component, I decided I wanted to run faster, so it turned into an 'interval'/speed workout. I also confirmed again the my max HR is 187. :) So, a good, hard run, that pretty much destroyed me. :)

All running done at 1% incline, except for about .05 miles at 2.5% when I was confirming my max HR. Hey it was already floating between 186 and 187... Why not. :) Did find an interesting article taking the 'anti' side of the treadmill incline discussion here. Makes sense, I think. Don't know if I'll change anything I'm doing, but thought provoking none the less.

1    - 10 min/mile
1    - 8 min/mile
.75 - 7 min/mile
1    - 9 min/mile
.75 - 7 min/mile
.5   - 9 min/mile
1    - 10 min/mile

I think I clicked start a little late, and actual mileage was more like 6.07, so we'll go with that.

6.07 miles in 53:00 (8:44/mile) @ 170 bpm average (187 max)

Oh, the HR plot was kind of neat, in that you can really see the pace changes pretty dramatically. Except for the last 1.5 miles where my HR never really came down.



I've been meaning to try the pool out and start doing some laps, and decided that even though I had jacked my heart rate all the way to oblivion it would be a good idea to try some laps anyway. I mean it's just swimming, how hard can it be? :)

I realized I didn't pack properly for this combination of workouts, so I swam in my compression shorts, instead of my trunks so I could wear them home. And realized I need a second pair of flip-flops for the pool. At least I remembered the goggles. :)

Got in and worked my way through 50 yards of freestyle, took a 12 breath break (inspired by Ruth Kazez and here 0 to 1650 program) and went back for a second round of freestyle. Halfway back on this lap I lost my mind. I forgot how long it's been since I was in the water last, and my comfort level was much lower than I thought it was. Combine that with the fact that my intensity level was off the charts, and I started to panic. I kicked down, trying to reach the bottom, forgetting it was only 4 feet deep and hammered the crap out of my right foot. My right big toe is missing a patch of skin the size of my thumb nail, and my right foot hurts a little when I walk on it. If I screwed up my running by swimming I'm going to be pissed. :|

Survived my panic attack after a break, and doggy paddled back to the side to finish the second 50 yards. Went back out again with heads up freestyle/doggy stroke combination for the third and fourth 50s. Finished with grand total of 200 yards. Got out and had to use the wall for support since I was a bit wobbly. Intensity level a bit high for the evening I think. :) So next session will be Wednesday, I think, and at a much lower intensity level. More research too...

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Interesting article on the treadmill. My brain has a hard enough time running on the 'mill I see no reason to make things even more difficult for myself by throwing an incline into the mix.

Sorry to hear about the incident at the pool. I hope the toe is okay!