Saturday, October 10, 2009

10/7 First Run at Carkeek and BBQ

Betsy and her husband, Matt, sent out an invite on Facebook for a slightly earlier than normal (starting at 5pm) run at Carkeek followed by a BBQ, on Wednesday. After a brief discussion with Val, especially since I was leaving to go to Portland on Thursday to pick my mom up from the hospital (hiatal hernia repair), then drive back to Long Beach, I decided I was in.

Showed up at the Park and drove a round a time or two since I realized I wasn't sure where we were meeting. Stopped and checked FB for what Betsy's car's looked like and then made another pass. Stopped when I saw a 26.2 bumper sticker and people dressed like runners.

None of the runners were Betsy or Matt, well one was, but a different Matt. :) But, they were the group I was meeting up with. The other Matt left for a lap just as I finished getting my new trail shoes set up, and Katie offered to lead and show me around the course, with her husband, Rob, and another runner, Renee. (Thanks for the correction Betsy.) They had just finished an absolutely brutal sounding hill and core workout. Despite that she managed to let me talk her ear off the first lap.

Forgot to turn on satellites on Garmin for first lap, and turning it on late appears to have flummoxed the HR info too, which is frustrating. All laps were roughly 1.85 miles. Laps were slightly short of the official course volume because we walked to the start for the stop each time. 430 feet of elevation gain per lap.

This was an entirely different experience from any other run I've ever done. Not just the terrain, which was really trail running, but just attitude. We ran each lap. Stopped, chatted, waited for other runners, decided year or nay, and then went back out or not. Very cool. VERY fun.

Katie dusted me on the second lap when I went out with her and her husband. I went back out for a third lap with the other Matt, and then let him at the top of the hill of death. (Sorry.) Nic, a Facebook friend, and fellow blogger showed up and we went out in the dark (thanks to Matt Hagen for the headlamp) for my last lap. Good conversation, and cool as hell running on a trail in the dark.

Splits:
26:25 @ ?
22:27 @ 167 bpm
22:54 @ 166 bpm
25:21 @ 161 bpm

7.4 miles total @ say 165 bpm avg, 1720 ft elevation gain.

Need to get some good pics of the course. It's very scenic, and one of the bridges over a stream is a really cool optical illusion, that makes the world look like it just stops. Also realized I need to get an SPI Belt or equivalent to carry my keys with the Skins, what wit them having no pockets and all. :)

Betsy and Katie were working hard to keep me on target for getting the Marathon Maniacs, and suggesting marathons. Between them and Nic trying to convince me that Lumberjack Endurance Run and 100 in the Hood are a good idea. :) It was nice to hear he thinks Mount Si is a good first 50 as well as all the other people who have recommended it.

No comments: