Saturday, October 3, 2009

10/2 Run and a Shopping Trip

I actually felt good enough to run around the block on Friday. Another chilly evening ~50 when I left at 9:15, and if the church is to be believed, it was 46 when I was a mile from home.

I really didn't want to go out. Not as bad as the inertia of not running for 9 days that I felt on Monday, but just that "It's late, and chilly and I want to hang out with my wife" feeling. I mentioned that I'd love a treadmill, and Val was like: "Then go to the gym". :) Not quite what I had in mind. I just didn't want to leave the house. but I did. :)

A little fast, which I think shows that I'm getting back into the swing of things, and that things are healing. I really had trouble keeping pace under control, and was constantly trying to adjust. Goal pace was 9:04 - 9:34.

Really nice run. Great temperature until I got back down onto 35th around 4.5 miles in. 35th just asks like a wind tunnel sometimes, so just a bit more chilly.

6.21 miles in 55:48 (8:59/mile) @ 159 bpm

Saturday, my Mom came over in teh morning, we went to Little Gym and then lunch at Azteca, and then we took advantage of the extra body to wrangle Kaitlyn, and trekked down to Kent to visit The Balanced Athlete.

As usual they worked their magic. I got a new pair of road shoes, to complement my not yet retired pairs of Mizuno Wave Alchemy 8s. They ended up being a pair of Brooks Addiction 8s. According to Eric the Wave Alchemy 9s are simply an upper modification over the 8s, not a complete rework like the debacle when I switched out my foundations, so I could have used them, but they were out of my size. The Addictions seem to have more forefoot support than the Alchemys, which is one of the only thing that's been off with the Alchemys.

Tammy, the new guy (didn't catch his name, oops), and Eric worked me, Val, and some other customers with grace and style. I managed to get my first pair of trail shoes too, a pair of Vasque Blur SL GTXs (wow, what a name. :) ). They feel completely different that road shoes, bigger, higher toe box, much stiffer rear end. And they're GoreTex so I might even keep my feet dry. I'm really looking forward to trying them out. Guess I need to stop procrastinating and find myself a nice local trail. :)

Somewhere in there Val got fitted a new pair of shoes too. A very pretty pair of pink ASICS. :) Finally, I was able to finish out my winter wardrobe as well as getting some stuff to fill some holes. I got a REAL pair of compression shorts (apparently my Nikes are just fancy Spandex shorts), a pair of SKINS. Eric had an interesting comment about the efficacy of compression clothing. Apparently, if he wears arm and leg sleeves he gets a 5 point reduction in HR. That's like 20 seconds/mile for him. I'm sold. :)

So, forthcoming reviews for a long sleeved Craft base layer, a Brooks Rebel Jacket (so I have something to wear other than might eye melting Brooks Nightlife jacket), a pair of Pearl Izumi Phase compression tights, and a really comfy looking pair of Features! socks (merino wool and bamboo).

Now, I'll stop babbling and go sit in front of my fire and watch Wolverine. :) Have a good weekend!

No comments: