Thursday, June 5, 2008

Drizzly Run

4 miles in 33:36( 8:24/mile)

Decided that I'd go ahead and add a little mileage in the middle of the week. Normally this will be on Wednesday, but I wanted to do it on Thursday, since I was feeling good, instead of waiting till next week.

I needed some variety so I ran up Eastlake, where I did my long runs a few weeks ago, and banged my legs against the hills. They just about beat me down. I tried to keep my pace up the longer hill on the outbound leg which was a bit of a mistake, and almost lost it and had to walk the last quarter of the hill. I ended up looking like a crippled old man staggering up until I reached the top and it leveled out. Turn around is about a quarter mile later after 'running' down the steeper hill in the pair.

Then you get to go back and stagger up the shorter, steep er hill. The long hill is 100ft of elevation gain in about 1/10th of a mile about 18%, the short is 45-60 feet in 1/20th of a mile, about 24%. It sure seems steeper than that. I'll keep running the route till I beat them. :)

It was 52 degrees and rainy so I wore the eye melting running jacket, and my new running cap. Despite that I had at least 3 drivers on the return leg that didn't seem to be able to see me, or have any common courtesy. You're in an effing car, I'm running in the rain, don't cut me off you damn donkey molester. I probably could have gone out without the jacket, and been a little more comfortable. The jacket was pretty clammy on the cool down walk back to the office.

I've been decided on my next 3 races for a while, but I don't think I've talked about them. Or I have really memory. Whatever.

Next in the queue is the Beach To Chowder 10K, on the beach down in Long Beach where my Mom's at, on 21 June. Then the Yankee Doodle Dash on the 4th of July in Everett, about 15 minutes from the house.

The big one, and part of the reason I went ahead and added some mileage this week, is so I can be a little more prepared for the Super Jock and Jill Half-Marathon on Labor Day (01 Sep), and still do what I think I want to do for the marathon. I'll post the obsessive, prepare for Half and Full for the rest of the year plan at a later date. :) The run starts at the Redhook Brewery in Woodinville, loops up through and around Bothell, and then back to the Brewery. I don't drink, but I suspect my father-in-law if he comes will be very happy. :)

splits:
mile1 - 8:17
mile2 - 8:29 (evil long hill)
mile3 - 8:46 (very evil short hill and crappy non watching drivers)
mile4 - 8:04

No comments: