Friday, January 4, 2008

Gear

As part of my research and prep to start this journey/life change, I had to get some new gear.

I'm still not sure about some future gear purcases, there's so much clothing, etc.. it's a little overwhelming.

Watch

I haven't seen but one real beginners discussion about watches (or those other assorted watch like pieces equipment)(I'll find the link in a bit). I ended up narrowing things down and getting a Timex Sleek 50. It has two interval timers which will work well with CouchTo5k (or some of it at least) and was the right price. No one mentions the watch as needed gear, but I guess the assumption is that most people wear a watch (Isn't that what your cell phone is for?)

Shirt

The guy (Chad?) at Roadrunner hooked me up and gave! me a brooks technical shirt (apparently a leftover from some contest.) Apparently because he and I had been talking/bitching about running in cotton t-shirts, and he felt strongly that that would be a bad idea. :) No complaints from me. I know it fits, but I haven't worn it outside yet.

Socks

New short socks that I've alway said I'd never wear. I like these! I've always had hot/sweaty feet and these really do breathe like they say they will.

Shoes

The important part of the gear. :) I did the whole fit thing at RoadRunner for the first time ever. Pretty cool. I have high arches. Who knew... Normal pronation apparently. Watching my legs run in bare feet is a like listening to yourself on an answering machine. A bit disconcerting as far a I'm concerned.

I got two pairs. The original intent was one pair for walking the dog, to save the 'good' shoes, and one 'good' pair for running. Chad pointed out that you can walk in 'running' shoes, so that means I've got two pairs to train in. Duh!

I ended up getting a new pair as the 'running' pair and a pair of worn-once shoes on sale (50% off) . He recommended Stability+ shoes for my weight (205 right now) but I'm pretty sure both new pairs are Stabilitys (because they just felt better)


The Blues, the new 'running' shoes are Saucony Progrid Trigon 5 Guides, with the green SuperFeet with arch support and additional impact protection. These feel great on my left foot (the large one) but I'm having trouble getting the right the way I'd like. I think it's the SuperFeet throwing things off, they felt fine in the store


The Oranges, the 'used' 'walking' shoes are Asics. These are actually use the inserts from the Saucony, since they didn't have any, with no arch support, and are REALLY comfortable.

No comments: