Thursday, February 5, 2009

No YRCM For Me

I've decided I'm not going to run the Yakima River Canyon Marathon. It just doesn't work for me to be able to do it safely/healthily. I was already pushing a little bit to do it, and after losing two weeks with being sick, it's just not a good idea. I had my doubts earlier in the year and let my Dad's excitement and my own goal setting/performance/ego issues) talk myself into putting it on the schedule.

The bigger goal for the year means I'd like to get to 40ish miles a week and stay there for a few weeks, probably staying with the low HR base building for another month or so. How long depends on what kind of progress I make for performance. I'm going to focus my marathon goal onto RnR Seattle, June 27th instead.

What I realized, and you'd think after a Goals post I'd have figured this out, is that there are two goals for races in the next 14 months. Obviously the 50 miler is the 600 pound gorilla in the corner. The other is that I REALLY want my second marathon to be a 'better' experience. However I define better...faster, no walking, whatever. I can't have a 'better' marathon with the way the plan worked out after I got sick. I had 4 18+ mile runs for the Seattle cycle, with a 'real' peak of 40.5 miles per week (That 47 mile week was a fluke, and seriously messed things up), and admittedly I had a flaky taper (4weeks not 3) because of my knee. The post sickness plan for YRCM only has 3 18+, with a peak at 48. I had hoped for 50+. My knees and feet are still bothering me from few weeks ago, and I'd like to get them healed so I don't have a repeat of that 4 week taper.

I'm thinking of shooting for a weekly goal of 40 miles a week, with a long run between 14 and 15 miles. I'm thinking I'll run all these at Base Building HR, probably all the way through February and into March, possibly up till the 15th, which is St. Patricks Day Dash with Val. I'll make the call then with a comparison 12 miler, using the same route I took one the 31st, or the one I plan on doing this Saturday. That should let me gauge improvements pretty well I hope.

After that I'll start ramping up my mileage, to a yet to be determined peak

Honestly, despite Val's working through this with me, it's taken me a few days to come to peace with this and realize I'm being a grownup and making reasoned decisions. :)

No comments: