Tuesday, February 3, 2009

1/31 Long Run

Another late night long run. Val ran in the morning (oops, still need to post about that...), so I ran in the evening. The plan was for Val to put Kailtyn down so I could run early, but that just didn't work, and then I was rumbly in the tumbly for a bit.

Started around 9pm. A bit chilly at 39 (I've gotten used to the gym). Doubled up technical shirts, and wore my light gloves. Pouches in the bottle carrier were perfect for the iPhone. Brought gels as backup. I'm really trying to run these 'shorter' long runs with no supplementation. Especially when I'm doing the low HR thing. I read (and probably misinterpreted) somewhere that this is the prefect combination to teach your body to better consume fat for fuel on runs.

First loop was outstanding. Well under 11 minute miles on average, and only uncomfortable towards the end as I rerealized the challenge of long runs in residential areas. No discreetly located trees or shrubs. :) I found one on the start of the second loop, and only had one car go by.

Second loop was slower ( 11:30 ish average). I felt like my legs really started to get tired around mile 9. A GU might have been a good idea, but hey, experimentation is what long runs are for, right?

No comments: