Tuesday, December 30, 2008

12/30 Run - Treadmill

Another 5 miles on Tuesday. Ran during the morning today. I had the first of the Personal Training sessions that came with my membership at the gym. This one was basically a throwaway with all the paperwork and orientation stuff. I'll meet with him again on Friday to work on some stretching and flexibility stuff, then he is going to start planning some strength training stuff. I cam out of the session a little grouchy, and I wasn't sure why. Some of it was feeling like I had gotten goat roped into doing strength sessions when all I really wanted was to get some help with stretching.

After I got back from the gym Val helped me explore why this bothered me so much. I initially responded with the fact that it was so hard to get time to train that trying to find the time for strength training and yoga and all that other stuff. Being the insightful person she is, she pointed out that I wasn't running, I was training. And she's right.

If I was running, I'd be out there for a couple of times a week, a couple, five miles at a time. If I'm going to train, I should go ahead and do what needs to be done. I'm a little worried about the strength training affecting the heart rate training, but we'll see how things go, and what kind of plan the trainer comes up with.

The run was at 1% incline as usual. 6.5 was the max! And I didn't go below 5.6! My average was 5.6 ish, but I think that was brought down a little by the warm up. I'll have to figure out how to program a custom workout so I don't track the warm up. Still busy at the gym with the 'holiday' week, so I ended up in the second row using the iPod again. Lots of older/retired people using the treadmills for their walks.

No comments: