Saturday, December 27, 2008

12/26 Run - Treadmill

Finally made it back to the gym for a few miles on the tread mill. As every Seattle area running blogger has sniveled about we have had a 'touch' of snow in recent days, and between that and preparing and hosting the holidays I ended up going for 5 days without a run. Apparently people could tell, because even Kaitlyn told me to go for a run at some point. :)

I got the gift any runner could dream of for Xmas, a Garmin 405, and have been obsessively reading the manual and wearing it around trying to see how the heart rate functions work. :) And then doing research at what heart rates I should be training.

With the Garmin, this means I can start doing some heart rate training. So off to the gym to try it out. Holy crap this is going to be hard. I did the following with the goal of keeping my heart rate between 130 and 150.

.9 @ 1%, 4.1 @ 1% My fastest speed was 5.0 mph (12 min/mile) lowest was 4.2 (13 something/mile) I didn't even run this slow when I was starting out.

I can certainly say that this makes me second guess the heart rate training concept, and my original training plan as well all at the same time.

As I have learned, I may have defeated the point of my first session with the last .5 mile of the run. I started jacking up incline and speed to check my maximum heart rate. I finally maxed out at 187 at 6% incline and 7:34/mile. I managed that for about 1/10 of a mile. :)

No comments: