Saturday, May 31, 2008

Waterloss Test

7.1 miles in 60:00 min (8:27/mile)

Got up slowly on Saturday, and didn't get out till 0900, which made for a late start for the rest of the day.

I've been doing a lot of reading about hydration during long runs this week, so the goal for this run was to do a 60 minute calibration run and get a rough idea of how much fluids I lose. Did a nekkid weigh in before I left at 173 (more in my monthly weigh in post to follow), and then got dressed and went on out.

It was a good run, and the new route was nice. I missed the bullfrogs that I heard when I ran the route at night, but I got to see other runners, which was nice. It's interesting all the runners I saw were friendly and nodded or said hello. All the runners around the lake aren't as friendly. I wonder if it's a home territory thing.

It was good, but it was tough. I was really having problems with the idea that I might be running a marathon in 6 months. I felt like I was just sucking wind most of the run, and having to really beat down some negative thoughts. And then I hit the 6.2 marker where I would normally stop. The last .9 of a mile wasn't bad, and I could have gone a little longer, which brought my confidence back.

I managed to beat the living snot out of the inside of my right ankle. Going to have to learn to run straight I guess. :) Leaving blood stains on my shoes isn't very pretty. :)

Weighed myself out at 170 when I got back, after 60 minutes in 58-60 and sunny. 3 pounds of water loss. That works out to around 2% of my body weight, which is as far as I want to push it apparently. That's a hell of a lot of water to drink. I read something, maybe in the Hammer Nutrition stuff, that you can only absorb 24-28 oz an hour, so I hope I get more acclimatized as I run more long runs. Maybe I'll try this again this weekend.


splits:
mile1 - 8:42
mile2 - 8:45
mile3 - 7:57 (some nice downhill here)
mile4 - 8:41
mile5 - 8:24
mile6 - 8:46 (long downhill)
0.2 - 1:24 (This waypoint is WAY off..)
+0.9 - 7:36 (8:27 pace)

No comments: