Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tacoma City 10K Run Race Report

So in more positive summary from previous post:

First 10K in 54:58. 8:51/mile pace. Weight around 176. Which works out to about 14 pounds lighter than St. Pats. Dash which was at 9:14/mile pace

And now, the super long, excessively detailed race report. I don't even want to know how long these are going to be if I run longer.

Night Before:
Since I didn't have a packet, this was much simpler than last time. :) I threw pretty much all my running gear in a gym bag in case the weather changed, pulled out my running jacket and gloves to wear in the morning, and laid out my shoes, pants, etc. , printed out directions, and made sure I had cash for parking, and a CLIF nectar bar for breakfast. Got to bed around 9:30 and actually slept pretty well.

I've only walked the dogs once since Wednesday (for a single, lone mile), and I ate almost my full maintenance calorie level on Thursday and Friday. I really wanted to get over whatever was bugging my left shin before I went and beat on it for 10 kilometers.

Pre-Race:
Got up at 0500, threw on my clothes, dealt with the dogs, grabbed my bag a a bottle of water and got on the road. Had to stop and get gas on the way out, but I was able to bang that out pretty fast. Chowed down the CLIF bar and about half my water before I made the 20 minute drive to work to pick up 'J'. (As an aside the CLIF nectar bars in Dark Chocolate Walnut, and lemon, vanilla, cashew are both really good.)

Picked up 'J', made a pit stop at work, and made it to Tacoma in about 40 minutes. Some odd driving around because they had closed the exit we wanted to take because of the Marathon that the 10K was part of. 'J' was running his first half. (He's run like 18 fulls.) We got pretty close to the start by about 6:45 and I was still looking for parking. 'J' bailed out and went to get our packets while I found parking. His run started at 7:30, mine at 8:00 Finally found a spot right behind the start line for $5 and met up with 'J' and got my packet from him. While I was walking down to get it, the Marathon runners started and blew by. Pinned on the bib number, strapped on the 'chip'. This time it was a light box mounted on a neoprene and velcro strap that went around the ankle. I snagged both of our gear bags and took them back to the car while 'J' lined up for the start. Saw 'I' from work at some point but didn't get a chance to chat with her before the race started.

The Half runners took off at 7:30 and the last 400 of us hung out for another half hour. I just wandered around, ran some short legs and tried to stay warm and loose. My right shoe just wouldn't get comfortable, I retied it 4 or 5 times until I finally decide to stop obsessing about it. As I looked around I estimated the 10K was about 2/3 women. (The numbers later look like that was about right; 100/367 were men). About 5 till everyone started to congregate on the street and get in place. Even lined up we all had lots of room. Much different experience the St. Pats Dash.

My calf and shins were feeling great, no pain or discomfort at all for the first time in a week or more, so I think taking it easy for a few days paid off.

10 second count down and lots of us (me included) started to bob and move and run in place, and finally the air horn went off. 11 seconds later, I was starting my watch as I crossed the start line and I was off.

I really had done very little obsessing about this course because the one time I had glanced at the map provided I hit the elevation map and whimpered. I'm sure that there are hillier 10Ks out there, and I read in something last night that someone used the term 'gradual hills' for this course, but the elevation map scared me. And when I ran it I swear even the hills had hills. :) So for your amusement while you follow along; The elevation map and the course map:





Mile 1:
9:56
My calves were really cold and stiff this hole first mile despite warming up and stretching, and apparently I was taking the go out slowly advice pretty seriously. :) Since the pack was so small there wasn't any really any maneuvering going on even as I started to speed up slightly. about 90% of this first mile was a nice gradual downhill, so I was really trying not to let that suck me in as well. The 50' switchback was a little odd, but that led into one of these steep little hills that would show up through out the race. Just moving over one block was a steep little hill. I kind of punched it up the hill to try to start getting myself moving a bit faster and to clear out of the small cluster of people that was forming. Saw the mile marker sandwich board shortly after the hill and tagged my split and decided I needed to start speeding up.

Analysis:
I can probably go out faster. 9:30 would probably be a more reasonable pace to head out at. Now how I figure out paces is a whole 'nother question.

Miles 2 through 4:
25:38 (8:33/mile average)
Since I didn't look at the map well I didn't know where the mile markers were so I can only average the next 3 miles since I never actually saw any markers.

The next mile was a long gradual uphill, it was hazy and overcast and lightly rained on us at this point. It was nice to cool of a bit. Passed through the water station at what turns out to be around mile 2. The station was manned by elementary school kids and they were really excited to see the runners and to get picked to give out their water. I was doing fine and blew on through. A little more up hill and a turn and we were suddenly running along the running trail around a park.

Around the park and back up hill and through some residential areas until we hit a nice downhill. I haven't run a whole lot of hills, so this was a good way to start figuring out how to open up my stride and run downhill quickly in a controlled way.

Spent a lot of this stretch running near a couple and their son. The Dad appeared to be Special Forces guy, and was pushing his son in a jog stroller. He looked like he was holding back to make it a nice Mothers Day run,. :)

I finally REALLY get the advice from an article on spectating marathons about being accurate about distance to go if you offer that information as a motivator. A volunteer at around mile 3.5 said: "Down the hill and around the turn and you're about halfway done." I looked at my watch and though "Holy crap these hill really are kicking my ass", and I heard the couple next to each other comment that they thought we were already halfway done as well. So we trip on down the hill and around the corner and the mile marker is for mile 4. Now I can tag the watch and get a good split. :)

Analysis:
I wish I had better split data for this stretch because I didn't feel like I was moving that fast this stretch, and wonder how consistent my pace was.

Need to spend more time running downhill to get a better handle on how that feels.

Mile 5:
9:25

Up a pretty steep hill to the water station just at about mile 4.5. My mouth was dry so I decided to try taking water and drinking it as a test. Managed to snag the cup just fine, but didn't slow down enough. Got about 2 sips of water in my mouth and most of the rest of it on my face and shirt. :) The little bit of water I did get gave me some stomach discomfort for a while. Not nausea or anything like that , just letting me know it was down there. :( Another short steep hill, and then the downhill began.

Analysis:
Need to learn how to drink on the run. Also need to figure out why my stomach reacted so poorly. Val suggested that maybe I need to eat something (like a Gu?) closer to the start of the race so I have something in my stomach.

I think the water and the steeper uphills in this section are what slowed me down here.

Mile 6:
8:28

All down hill here except for some twists and turns that meant some short steep uphills scattered through the last mile. I could feel I was starting to get a little tired, but the downhill make it all come together.

I had been trading places with a woman through the last couple of miles, and she left me way behind on this leg. I caught a glimpse of her at some point, but shew was hauling.

As I'm running through one of the more level spots a half-marathon finisher is coming my way on what is obviously his cool down run. He was nice enough to say "about a half mile to go, keep it up" and then zip past on his merry way. Turns out he was the winner of the half. He finished in 1:09 and change.

As I'm coming down the hill, the Convention center is in front of me, so I know I have to be getting close. The course turns right up ANOTHER steep short hill and then back around the Convention center.

Mile .2:
1:33 (7:45/mile)

The last .2 is a nice steep downhill, but awkward because of some turns and jogs in the road. I really gunned it in trying to catch a couple that were just ahead of me. No joy, but it helped me finish under 55:00.

Post-Race:
Walked through the water and chip line and started to walk out my run. 'J' was coming back from his cool down run. He finished 10th. We walked into the convention center for bit and came back out to watch 'I' finish. She finished 8th for women. Walked around some more, and then went to the car to get jackets and pants. Realized at this point that I had chafed my nipples again. Badly. Lesson learned. :)

Came back to try to catch the marathoners coming in and get some food. Then we went and hung out and waited for the awards ceremony.

I got a chance to try out the 'Stick', and holy jeepers, I'm buying one of those. The gal at the booth selling it ran it up and down my right calf, which was a little tight, and boom... tightness gone. I didn't have any cash so I passed on getting one.

Drove home, dropped off 'J', got lunch and showered. The Val and Kaitlyn took a nap, so I ducked out and mowed the lawn. :) We went to the grocery store later too. I felt really good after the run. I probably could have done another couple of miles if I had slowed down. I think that moving around and doing the lawn, etc really helped.

My butt is a little sore, but other than that I feel pretty good for 2 days after. I am having to protect my chafed areas, but that's pretty minor.

If you're still here, thanks. Now that I've got it out of my system, Val won't have to hear the play by play again. :)

4 comments:

Da Doo Run Run said...

Dare I ask how you are supposed to prevent chafed nipples?

Sounds like you had a great race day, all in all. I find your times amazing for someone who just started running with the C25K program not that long ago. Go you!

Nancy said...

Very nice running. You sound like my husband with all the analysis :D

Thanks for sending me your time. A race report will follow. Thank you for thinking of us!!

Nancy

Nancy said...

Okay, with all the analysis I decided you had to be either an engineer or a lawyer. Imagine my smile when I checked your profile. :D

MomOf4 said...

Congratulations on completing your 10K! You did great! It was really interesting reading your play by play!