Friday, May 2, 2008

HH5210 mod: 7-3

5.5 miles in 50:53 (9:15/mile)

Despite my intent to go out for a slower run for the long run, I managed to run this at the race pace from the St. Pats Dash (3.6 mi). I went out too fast, and didn't really slow down. I knew I was pushing, and knew I should slow down, and I didn't. (I was going to say I couldn't but that wouldn't be true now, would it? :)) I guess I just wanted to see if I could do it.

The hills beat on me again, especially since the extra 1/2 mile meant crossing the University Bridge. Which is apparently all uphill, after a hill leading to it... The super steep hill on the return leg made me run like an old man; head down, small steps, panting and wheezing, but I managed to do it without doing the whole push on the knees thing. :)

Not as many interesting sights as last time, and the bridge bothered me almost as much as it did the first time vertigo wise. Running downhill is a whole technique thing, and it's a little uncomfortable. It may just be the steepness of the hills, because I think I'm slower going down than up.

Splits
mile1 - 9:10
mile2 - 9:05 (first pass at the hills)
mile3 - 10:02 (second set of hills and long uphill bridge)
mile.5 - 4:48 (1/2 mile split coming down from the bridge entry onto level)
mile4 - 8:59
mile5 - 8:49 (glorious flat ground)

2 comments:

Da Doo Run Run said...

Holy crap you are really turning into an honest-to-goodness runner. Good for you!

Aaron Cunningham said...

Thanks. :) Some days it feels that way, and then 2 days later I'm maxed out walking the dog 2 miles. :)