Wednesday, April 2, 2008

HH5210 mod: 3-2

3 miles in 27:21 (9:07/mile)

I don't know whether to thank the brutal headwind we started with or not. Of course it went away on the return leg, so no tail wind. Grrr... My boss was only running 2 miles today in deference to his foot problem, so I think we started a bit fast, and then I was trying to punch through the wind, so I went a bit faster than normal. When I hit the mile marker and my boss turned around, I was around race pace (9:15) and decided to try to keep the pace since I wasn't puking yet. :)

I really pushed the last 100 meters or so (I know it's asking for trouble, but it's nice to know I'm not running full force for the rest of the run), and then fought my watch for my stop time. I'm certainly not running this pace for my 4 miler on Saturday, but it felt pretty good. Can I call this a 'speed workout' :)

On a real training note, is the fact that my last workout was at a 10:09 pace, and I was capable of a 9:07 pace mean I need to be pushing harder on my regular runs? Not to 9:07, but should I be shooting for 9:40 instead of 10? Or, at this point in the game, do I run how I feel like and let my body pick the speed?

2 comments:

Da Doo Run Run said...

9:07 mile?!?! And you a newbie who just graduated C25K. Great job!!!!!

Nic said...

Your pace should be dependent on what type of run you are on (ie: tempo, speed work, long slow distance, etc.), training with out a purpose tends to result in a lot of 'junk miles.' If you're just out there to run, that's great, but if you've got specific goals, speed or more endurance for instance, tailor your trailing to meet those goals.

This site may be of interest... http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/index.shtml

...good work on sticking to your running, so many have lost interest within the first 3 months.