Wednesday, April 23, 2008

HH5210 mod: 6-2

Whoo Hoo!!!! I broke 27:00 for my 3 mile run!!!!!
3 miles in 26:24 (8:48/mile)

I could not have kept that pace up for a whole lot longer, and my 'push' at the end really just involved some arm flailing and gasping, and not a lot of speed increase. Felt good though.

I'm going to have to add some workouts to strengthen my core, even if it's just some daily situps. I knew the first mile was faster than normal just from the way my lower abs tightened up about 1/2 a mile in. The tightness gradually progressed up my abs till at the end it really didn't have too far to go and it was going to be affecting my breathing pretty badly. No side splits today, but my right shoulder/neck bothered me again for a 1/2 mile or so, then finally went away.

Any suggestions for at home workouts for the core?

The right side of my core seems a bit more sore than my left, and I came it with a bit of soreness in my left calf, but neither seem serious. I think the side thing and the neck/shoulder thing are from the way I sit at my desk.

I can't run this pace every day, but I keep reading that I need to vary speed and workout, so I figure if I run Mondays as a 'medium' run, Wednesdays as a 'speed' workout, and Saturday as a longer, 'slow' run, I'll be OK.

2 comments:

HappyBlogChick said...

Wooo hooooo! Congrats, speedy!

There's always the dreaded plank for core strength. It's definitely a good one.

Also, if you don't have a balance ball it might be a good investment. You're looking at $20 or less for something that helps with a LOOOOT of different exercises, including core/balance exercises.

Anonymous said...

Hey Aaron-- Maybe you spell this out in an earlier post, but I'm curious about why you modified Hal's plan to eliminate cross-training, stretch and strength. I'm transitioning from C25K onto HH's 10k novice plan, and it actually matches up perfectly for me (30 min= 2.5 miles for me because I am slow). So far I am enjoying the strength, stretching, and cross-training, it mixes it up a bit. Respond here or on my blog, I'll check back! Thanks!