Wednesday, April 9, 2008

HH5210 mod: 4-2 -and- Doing More Than Running?

3 miles in 29:20 (9:46/mile).

This felt like a tough run for some reason. Actually now that I think about it, it was tough because my calves were really tight at first, so I was working there, and then I ended up with a negative spit, so the last half, after my calves warmed up was fast... Duh.

I don't get this training thing. I need to do more reading to try to figure out what, if anything, I should be doing differently. Reading about McMillan Running Calculators, and intervals, and varying speeds during runs makes my head hurt. At this point I'll try to start understanding it, but I'm just going to run, and let my body tell me pace.

On a related not: I have a huge amount of respect for all of you who go out and do more than just run the other days of the week (or sometimes the same day).

I like the running, some days I get home after a lunch run and I want to go run again (I don't mind you, I'm not that crazy yet. I just think about it.). The idea of just doing some pushups and situps, no matter how appealing from the perspective of whole body fitness. (I went to the playground with Kaitlyn this weekend and tried to do 2 pullups, failed each time, and managed to do 3 full body dips on the parallel bars. I'm still sore 3 days later).

Turns out my boss really likes to swim, and we pass a pool on our runs. $30 annual membership and $3 per lap session. It motivated me enough to think about it and to even find the Couch To 5K equivalent for swimming. Swimming a continuous mile (0 to 1650)(apparently 1650 yards is a mile in swimming). Sounded cool. Even made me think about a mini tri. Now the idea just makes me shudder.

It's possible that it's the same motivation thing that took me so to get back into running. Or, it could be that I'm hungry and more tired that I'd like to be (possibly because of the running and calorie deficit thing, a rant for another day).

Who knows. I'll probably bitch about it a couple more times and then make a decision. Or not. I'm really thinking that I won't add anything until July, which is when I hope to be at my goal weight and start eating more. It still bugs me though.

2 comments:

*lisa* said...

I highly recommend the swimming. Swimming is my sanity. It doesn't judge me like running does ;)

Also ... you've been tagged:

"Six Word Memoir"




Here's the rules:


(1) Write your own six word memoir.


(2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want.


(3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post, and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogs-universe.


(4) Tag at least five more blogs with links.


(5) Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play.


mine:
http://eisarierun.blogspot.com/2008_04_10_archive.html

MomOf4 said...

Great job! Under 30 minutes for a 5K is awesome!