Sunday, May 3, 2009

5/3 Long Run

Up in the morning and out and on the road mostly on time. 45, which was a disappointment especially after Saturdays 60s, but at least it had stopped raining. :) Went out in LS top and gloves, which was perfect. When I got back from the run it was 53, so it warmed up nicely.

Went out with the plan of running last weekends 18.7 miles, but doing a second loop through Village Green Drive/Seattle Hill Road to replace a really boring and obnoxious 2 mile out and back along Bothell-Everett highway. I expected that would add about an extra .5 miles and bump me over 19.

First 5 miles were just amazing, I was just ecstatic. All 5 were under 11/mile for a change, and I just felt good. With the headspace reset, I realize that speed is tied into all this. I'll have to think about that a little and how it ties into everything.

Turned onto Village Green Drive/Seattle Hill Road for the first lap and just started feeling amazing. I've mostly suspected that the runners high didn't exist until the last two weekends. I spent the entire 6ish miles of the two Village Green Drive/Seattle Hill Road laps feeling amazing. If this is what people who smoke (say dope) feel, holy crap, I understand why they do it. The rest of the run felt pretty good, but nothing like that section.

I really need to take the time to make sure the park's restrooms are open in the morning. I'm going to miss the PortaSan on Seattle Hill Road. :)

Saw a gal out for a walk who was out running yesterday, which was interesting. Another gal I saw twice with a St. Patrick's Day Dash shirt. Lots of runners that looked like they were out doing speed work.

Second lap I stopped to say hi to what looked like a Berner, but the owner said was a rescue that was probably an Aussie/Berner mix. Really cute boy. :)

Realized the second lap that things were going to be long. MapMyRun says around 3.16 for VG Drive/SH Road loop, not 2. Doh!

Coming around on the second lap he sun was behind me, and it was neat to actually see my thighs working as each leg hit the ground.

I realized at mile 12 (end of second lap) that I was as fast or faster than Saturday's run: 2:13:28 on Sat vs 2:11:26 on Sun.

I've been experiment with active breathing (for lack of a better/correct term) for the last few runs. I'm trying to pay attention to inhalations being deeper, and actually blowing out instead of just exhaling. It seems to help keep my heart rate down and under control a few points. It also seems to keep my pace under control as well. Probably because I'm not actively thing about paces.

Coming down Village Green Drive after the second lap, I crossed paths with a pair of ladies I saw last week, but this week they also had fuel belts on. "Long Run Sunday?" "That's it." :) Saw another guy just before I finished with a belt on, and what looked like his sun trailing on his bike for support. Long Run Sunday. :)

The new Running Times has an interesting article about mileage vs. time that I spent a few miles concentrating on. It's interesting, and I don't disagree with the idea that runners can be mileage obsessed. I certainly can be. I'm not sure that I buy the idea that 40 7 minute miles (280 minutes) is the same load as 28 10 minute miles (280 minutes) though.

Had two product ideas on this run too. One serious and one fun.
I remember an article about someone who was working on sunglasses that had a HUD (Head Up Display) for Gamin data built in. But it was pretty spendy. What about a display that could clip to the underside of the brim of a hat, and show your choice of HR, Pace, Elapsed Time, maybe in rotation?

And then another one that would clip to your shirt or hat and show your predicted and, more importantly, your elapsed mileage. This would let you mentally fend of any questions as you plod the other direction from another runner, all slow, sweaty, and smelly. They would know without question that you were at mile 18 of a 20 miler and cut you some slack. :)

Had GUs @ 4, 7, 10, 13, and 16. Not entirely certain how I ended up with 2 Orange Bursts in one run, after only buying 4. Snort. About right. :)

Stopped at Starbucks @ 15.5 and refilled water bottles and made a pitstop.

The Balegas aren't really protecting my ankles. Till today I would have said it at least stopped cuts...not so much. And it doesn't really stop the pain when I kick myself either. :) Maybe back to tape?

Ran until Garmin stopped at 20 even. (I set it over the target distance after the last time I misjudged when running HR)
20.0 miles in 3:43:27 (11:10/mile) @ 141 bpm.

Yesterdays 12 miler was @ 11:08. And I ran 20 the next day in 11:10!!! Yay me!
Admittedly, it's not fair to compare two completely different course profiles, but still... it makes me feel pretty dang good.

3 comments:

*lisa* said...

haha I was thinking about it before I started!!! I'm not sure. I'll be moving to DC sometime this summer, so I was thinking RNR Half in VA Beach, but it's pricey + hotel ... I also found a smaller one in Delaware that's less than 2 hours from where I'll be living so it is on my radar, too. My next race is a 5-miler next month. Right now my goal is to get faster -- I don't want to take on a marathon if its gonna take me 6 hours to finish.

joyRuN said...

Thanks for the congrats!

Nicely done on your 20 :)

I don't think I'd want my Garmin data that accessible (heads up) = sometimes I like to ignore how many more miles I have to go.

Run For Life said...

I don't buy the mileage vs time debate when it's that big of a difference in minutes per mile.

I like the hat idea...but I don't know if I'd want others to see my stats if I was having a bad run, haha.