Saturday, May 2, 2009

5/2 Med Long Run

Saturday was another good run. It helped that My Mom emailed me a comment about my running and tone on the blog, that led to a discussion with Val, that finally got some sense into my head. More on that later. But it reset my enjoyment level more than a little. And a little bit of runners high again didn't hurt.

A wonderful morning to start and finish a run. It was 60 when I left in the sleeveless shirt, and 56 when I got back. Slightly overcast, but pleasant. Yay spring!

It was a very visually interesting run in a few sections. The wind would pick up and you'd have the yellow-green pollen storms. Looking like wind blown snow across the streets, swirling and dancing.

Which was fun until it got into your eyes and mouth. :)

The cherry (?) trees would shed their petals and it would snow white and pink.

And then there's a whole block of Village Green Drive that is lined with cherry trees, all pink and summery. :)

Had GUs @ 4 and 7ish, decided not to have another at 10 because I was odne in 2 more miles. Why waste it. They ain't cheap. :)

Right big toe and tendon on the top of my foot aggravated a little on the run. Shoes tied too tight again probably, or the form change/form feedback I'm getting from the new shoes.

(Mentioned to Val that I'm over 200 miles on the new shoes already and she just blinked. And then mentioned that dialing my mileage back after the marathon would save us money. Chuckle. : )

lots of runners and walkers out, and ended up seeing multiple pairs or runners twice on the Village Green Drive/Seattle Hill Road Loop. Apparently I'm not the only person who thinks it's a pleasant loop. :)

Lots of traffic, foot and road, which was odd because it's normally so quiet, because of the semiannual Mill Creek Garage Sale

Passed a friendly older guy out for a walk as I was coming up one of the hills. We exchanged good mornings and then he told me to "Keep up the pace." Which was really nice. Most people just say good morning.

On the way home down 35th I saw a really pretty bird I'd never seen before. A black bird with either red shoulders or red spots on his wings. A nice distraction. When I google the only thing I can find is the Red Winged Blackbird. I didn't see any yellow as he flew by, but it would make sense.

Not sure how this ended up longer than last Saturdays run, which ws the same route. Have to take a closer look at the Garmin tracks.

12.22 miles in 2:16:11 (11:08) @ 140 bpm.

Splits for this run compared to last weeks:
You can really see how things went south last week after mile 5, and never recovered.

25-Apr 2-May
10:50 10:42
11:06 11:12
10:32 10:39
10:18 10:21
12:01 11:57
12:09 11:27
11:49 11:20
12:12 11:18
11:59 11:42
11:20 10:52
11:39 10:57
11:28 11:01
9:40 11:48
------------------
2:18:27 2:16:11
11:27 11:09

Check out the improved pace (Last week was 11:26/mile)!!! I must be finally feeling better. Or, god forbid, after all the bitching, the training might be working.

Managed to beat the rain that cam in the afternoon and again in the evening! Yay!

And on a non running related note, I actually started getting my garage organized again!!!! Ran to Lowes while Kaitlyn was down for a nap and picked up a pair of heavy duty metal shelves for $80 apiece. They went together fast and dropped into the left side of the garage swimmingly. And moving the shelves around both during purchase and construction was a pleasant reminder of the benefits of going to the gym.

Once Kaitlyn got up, I set the exercise pen up in front of the garage door and opened the door to the yard so Toby could come and go, and she came out and helped me organize. And go swing. :) In her pajamas, rain boots, and a hemp basket for a hat. :)

My legs were REALLY tired from working in garage on concrete with old shoes. Popped an Advil before I went to bed, and we'll see how Sunday goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you were quite a bit faster this week. Nice job!