Tuesday, May 26, 2009

5/24 Long Run

Sunday was a tough 20 miles in 3:20:35 (10:31/mile) @ 141 bpm. Quads were pretty tired. Upper body didn't loosen up and stop complaining until about 5 miles in, which was annoying.

Good pace, withing 2 seconds/mile of Saturday, which is nice and consistent with all the other me/long run pairs, which is nice.

Need to do some research into BCAAs and endurance athletics. I've seen some things that imply that for over 3 hours they can improve performance.

Another run to experiment with different fueling methods, since I couldn't find a second gel flask. Honey for 3 doses, Fig Newtons for 2 doses (worked great, if a bit dry), and a PowerBar GEL Strawberry-Banana I picked up to fill the gap at Fred Meyer the night before.

Had a nice epiphany about weight after the run, or maybe on Monday. I've been a little bothered that my weight has been going up (180.2 from 170.4) since the last marathon, and that I'm going to have to lose all the weight over the couple of months after RnR Seattle. Then I looked at my body fat percentage. Same as the last marathon. Which means that only ~2 pounds of this weight is garbage. The rest is mass from all the lifting! Yay! A good reminder that it's not just about a number. It's about two. :)

No comments: