Wednesday, May 20, 2009

5/20 Med Long Run

Wednesdays run was two very tough laps around the lake. I absolutely blame the workout on Tuesday night. My legs were just dead. I wanted to call it a day after the first lap. By the last 2 miles my quads ached on the downhills and my hamstrings ached on the uphills. Glad to be done running. :) Apparently, my strategy of running 12 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday isn't the way to get that 'running on tired legs' feeling. :)

Saw an old coworker, Jake, who heckled me a bit about my water belt and pouches full of gear an such. Not too worried about it. If I could run 12 in 1:20 I'd dispense with them too. :)

Some big yachts at the Daedalus dock, but I can't for the life of me remember their names. Really big though. :)

Went to the local bike shop Tuesday night to get some GUs . Ended up with Hammer Gels again, since they were out of GU. Noticed for the first time that you can by Hammer Gel in bulk, for a significant cost reduction ($20 for 26 servings. ~$.76/serving)

That let to the realization that even when I'm good and buy my GUs in the box, it's expensive to run long if you fuel with GUs. 6 GUs is between $6-$9. I think the bulk gel in a flask isn't a bad idea. Or, I start figuring out how to run with less fuel, or come up with an alternate fuel source.
I suspect Gatorade would be cheaper, but I really like just running with water (possibly with nuun for electrolytes) .

Ate the 4 Hammer Gels I got on Tuesday at 3.5, 6, 8 and 10. Tried Raspberry, Orange, Apple Cinnamon and Chocolate. Raspberry seemed to be the best of the four. Good fruit flavor. Orange was a bust, Chocolate seems thicker than the others (just as it does for GU) and Apple Cinnamon was too cinnamonny.

12.26 miles in 2:14:52 (10:59/mile) @ 141 bpm

No comments: