Sunday, May 17, 2009

5/16 Run

Saturday the alarm went off at 5, and I decided to bail out of the workout after the run and went back to sleep for an hour. Got on road by 7ish. 45 at start, comfortably warmer at finish.

Decided that the biggest advantage to a down week is that I don't feel like I need to compare my runs to each other like I do during normal weeks. So, I drove into Mill Creek to run on the MCCA (Mill Creek Community Association) Trails in the center of town. After a suggestion from my father-in-law, these are under consideration for inclusion into my race, so I thought I ought to try it out and compare the reality to the map. And in some cases the reality is different from what's implied by the map.

The other goals were to get accurate mileage, which didn't happen thanks to Garmy (we'll go back out and try it again. : ), and to take some pictures of a run. And what better run to take pictures of than the closest to a trail run that I've done.

8.04 miles in 1:32:56 (11:33/mile) @ 141 bpm

This was a surprisingly tough run. The trails are in a valley in the center of Mill Creek and are full of short, 'sharp' hills. I found it very hard to get into my most efficient stride. I seemed to be favoring short, fast and 'choppy'. Obviously I've not spent a lot of time on 'trails. :)

Thank goodness for the PortaSan at the entry I used. This seems to be a recurring theme on my runs lately. How effing much am I drinking? And how did I make it through my Seattle without needing to take a break?

Here is a visual tour of about 2 miles of the trail run. Specifically, the loop that I'm thinking of using for the race. Probably more photos than I need to showcase this. :)

The view from Village Green Drive, as if you were running that loop. You'll be hanging the left.


And now we disappear into the woods for a while


A few steps further than the last picture. The path on the right of the picture is what you'll be on on the way out.







See, we're in a bowl here. That fun, steep path is one of the routes into the trails from one of the communities surrounding it.


Going straight. :) If you take the right you can bail out early. :)




Standing on the bridge in the previous picture, looking to the right, into the watershed.


Just after the bridge, hanging a right.






The big turn to the right. Left is a 1/2 mile path out of the trails, and to the base of Seattle Hill Road. Right lets us finish our loop.


Just after the sign above is another bridge. Not quite as attractive with stark white concrete holding the rocks together that doesn't seem to be weathering. But the view is nice



We're hanging a right at the turn. I'm heading straight temporarily to take care of a call of nature.


My savior, the PortaSan.


And now we're back to our regularly scheduled programming, and looking up the hill after the right.


Note that the concrete ends here, and there is no trail. The map says this is a part of the path.


This is the other side, back onto the trail, after a run through the ball field.


A reminder that you really are in the middle of a residential area.


The same spot, but looking to the right, into the trails.









In the distance you can see the playground that is the escape. :)


And the reverse of the view from the beginning, down the hill, to the left, left again and you're back on Village Green Drive

1 comment:

Laura said...

What a pretty trail! That looks like a gorgeous place to run :)