Sunday, March 8, 2009

3/8 Long Run

Effin Daylight Savings. Alarm went off at 5. Checked the weather on the iPhone, 32 degrees, feels like 23. And it has snowed the night before. Started to try to procrastinate, and Val called me on it. I decided that despite how hellish it would be I'd just wuss out and run at the gym.

Got suited up, dealt with Toby, and was at the gym and on the treadmill by 5:45 or so. Actually locked up my bag for a change so I could make pitstops and waterstops and not feel paranoid about it. Set the dreadmill at 6.0 and 1% and got started. Brought Garmy and the HR monitor just so I'd have the data, but didn't use it to change pace or anything.

Banged out the first 5.1 miles with no problems, and made a pit stop. Realized that I only add 'makeup' miles when I run on the treadmill. "Oh, I have to speed up from 0 when I'm running, I'll add a 1/10 of a mile to make up for it."

Got back on, bumped the speed to 6.1 since my HR looked good, despite being inside ((it was cooler inside, maybe that helped), and 1%, and got started again. I was glad to be in the gym 4 miles later for a full service pitstop, and then back on the 'mill. Finished the middle 5 miles and bumped the speed up to 6.2.

After a another mile or so the wheels started getting wobbly. My right knee started complaining, and I started to feel like I was just seriously dragging ass. I actually stopped the treadmill to reset it so I didn't have to remember that I had a non full mile to run, so i could stop for a second. Twice. After the second time, around 12 miles in, I had a GU. Added an extra .1 again because I can't count.

And the GU didn't kick in for like 2 more miles. Probably because I should have been taking them earlier and was behind. It's frustrating since the last two 15 milers I was fine with no GU. Not enough glycogen after Saturday's run/workout combo?

In the last 3 miles or so, dialed the speed back down to 6.0 then I ran a mile, walked .1, ran a mile , walked .1 and then ran it out. Knee felt better once the GU kicked in, as expected. I'll be spending some quality time with the roller this week, since I've been bad about that the last week or so, and that and Vitamin I will take care of things. Good thing this week is a rest week. Another nail in the coffin of the current pair of shoes, too.

Despite the knee, the last two weeks have been confidence building. 41.89 last week and 42.55 this week. I'll fall back to around 32 this week (a planned fall back for a change) and then shoot for 41ish next week.

Then I finally get to add some speed work.

Final stats: 15.4 miles in 2:42:08 (10:32/mile). Without all the pitstops, and pity stops, it was faster, which makes me feel pretty good. 5@ 6.0, 5@6.1, 2.5@6.2, 2.5 @ 6.0.

2 comments:

MomOf4 said...

I think it is awesome that you are running 15+ miles at a time! Great job!!

Marcy said...

Anyone who can roll out 15 miles (pit stops or not) is my hero. Dang!