Thursday, March 12, 2009

3/12 Run and Workout

Ran to SPU out and back again. 42 out, feels like 37. Yay, shorts weather! :)

Really good run. 5.28 miles in 49:13 (9:19/mile) @ 147 bpm average. Not sure how I got that speed and that HR, but I'll take it. I'm getting close to the end of this 6 week cycle, so maybe I'm starting to see some additional improvements. (One can hope)

Yesterday I raced a tugboat up the South ship canal bike trail and won. :) Admittedly it was towing something, but still. :)

Tech4o read 5.123 when we finished (so 97% accurate). 8332 steps apparently.

Right knee seized up when I stopped with 1/10 of a mile to go. Tried to work it out for that last little bit. Not a lot of progress, and walking the last block was painful. A hot shower and some leg extensions on the bench in the locker room, and no more pain. Scary. As I write this, all the tension and pain in the leg is gone. Reminds me a lot of the behaviors experienced by Sun Runner. Odd.

The cold and the snow must be playing hob with the humidity, my right hand is cracking again. It's always that hand, which is a bit annoying. Lotion is helping a bit, but not as much as I'd like.

-----------------------
Went to gym after Kaitlyn went down.

Initial Pushup Set: 37 ( last one might not have counted at at PT test. It was a bit wobbly)

3 sets
C1: Stability Ball Crunches (5 second hold) - 10 reps
C2: Stability Ball Forward Rolls (5 second hold) - 10 reps

PlyoBox Step Ups and Jump Ups
P1: 18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Front - 10 reps
P2: 18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Sideways - 10 reps
P3: 18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Sideways Twist - 10 reps
J: 18" PlyoBox Jumps - 3 sets - 10 reps (decided to make the height change permanent)

Did P1, P2, P3, J, 1 min break, P1, P2, P3, J, 1 min break, P1, P2, P3.

Decided to try something I saw online when looking at PlyoBox drills. Single Legged Jumps onto the 12" PlyoBox. Tough for me. One set of 10 for each leg. Very slow and deliberate. Also a very good balance drill for me. (I guess I feel challenged by the constant CrossFit 'marathoners have a crappy vertical jump' stuff. :))

3 sets of each superset. One superset cluster at at time. 1 minute rest between sets.
SC1: Stability Ball Chest Press - 10 reps @ 27.5#
SC2: Pushups - 12 reps ( having to go to knees for part of sets 2 and 3)

SB1: Dumbbell Rows - 10 Reps @ 20# (up since last workout)
SB2: Free Motion Pulldowns - 12 Reps @ 20#

SS1: Overhead (Shoulder) Press - 10 reps @ 17.5#
SS2: Shoulder Abduction - 12 reps @ 5#

SL1: Dumbell Squats - 10 reps @ 35#
SL2: Stability Ball Leg Extension - 12 reps (hold for 2 top and bottom)(still surprisingly hard by the third set)

2 sets
30 second Side Planks

Pullups (Weight Assisted)
5@48, 5@54, 5@54 (some improvement here)

Bodyweight Dips
7, 4, 3

2 comments:

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

I love having a fellow washingtonian- I actually know the routes you are talking about

Run For Life said...

I think only runners consider those temps "shorts weather" haha. That's weird about the knee, hopefully it'll not bother you anymore.