Monday, March 30, 2009

3/29 Long Run

Another early morning, but at least it wasn't raining. :) Pants and jacket again, but that was for the wind for a change. Almost made it out of the door on time, and was running at 5:40.

First half of the run was pleasant enough except for being slow, and some walk breaks up a couple of hills that I I approached too hard. If nothing else, I'm learning some techniques for running hills efficiently (if not quickly)(the key seems to be slowing down before you hit the base of the hill so you have a larger range to work through. :) )

Knew when I went out that I probably did not have enough water for a run of this length, but didn't want to do loops to refuel like I did last year. I just staved water for each GU break. I didn't even think until talking with Val that I could probably have refueled at Starbucks or Spotted Cow at about halfway. She suggested bringing some cash in case they get fussy, which isn't a horrible idea. (Much better idea than that of a CamelBak and fuel belt. :) )

At the halfway marker, I noticed my thighs and glues were tired and starting to burn, and then I hit sadistically brutal headwind, which was really bad running down 19th. Amazingly the tailwind was bad. I had to fight it to keep my heart rate down which wore me out, and it wasn't cooling me like the headwind was. I could feel ears getting warm, and just was uncomfortable. I was glad when I changed aspect angle so I could get some cooling again.

Lots of lights and sirens as I ran through Town Center. Apparently there was an accident on the Highway. :(

Had a runner just ghost by me on my return leg on 19th. (About mile 14) Gliding along, making me feel like a slug. :)

Took 5 GUs, ending with a Chocolate Mint as a 'treat', like last week. Mmmmm. These things are surprisingly good. I bought a 6 pack during the holiday season and have been sitting on it till I got to longer runs.

I realized that part of my problem with two of the things Eric has suggested, arm swing and increased cadence, is that they increase my heart rate. If I keep my arm motion down my HR is lower. Also, it feels really odd running with that much arm motion when I'm running so damn slow.

Remembered a couple more things from Eric:

Walk during the marathon. (I had suggested that other than 'doing better' as a goal for #2, that "not running' might be a sub goal) It's going to be necessary to keep the HR down. Possibly even plan on walking ala Galloway. At least until you get you HR ranges and experience tuned up a little more.

Hmmm... That's only one thing. I know there's another one in there somewhere. :)

Realized I'm not sure what range to run the marathon at. I suspect he's going to say under the Anaerobic threshold though. :) Also really confused as to VO2 pace projections and my 2 mile performance.

I'm hoping that I can pull off another 48 mile week next week, for 3 in a row, and then a fall back week for Easter week. It will make fitting a run in on Easter Sunday easier if it's shorter. :)

18.11 miles in 3:23:43 (11:15/mile) @ 137 bpm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha I love how you saved the Chocolate Mint Gu for a "treat." I need to try that one.

And yes, I did 20 miles on 2 gels. If I have too many they just upset my stomach and negate any usefulness. I get most of my energy from an energy bar that I eat beforehand and from dinner the night before.