Monday, March 16, 2009

3/14 Long Run

Moved my long run back to Saturday since Sunday was the St. Patrick's Day Dash

We were over at a friend's place a little late so I slept in till 7 and then go up and got running. Was in the low 40s according to the house thermometer, but had started drizzling when I took out Toby, so shorts, jacket, and (yes, I can be trained) my gloves.

I suspect it was a little cooler than the house thermometer stated, but that could have been the wind. I don't normally mind running in the rain in short (if the temperature supports it) but it was chilly for the first little bit as the wind drove the rain onto my legs.

Tried a slightly different route that added some extra hills (wheee!). My knee grumbled lightly, but noting serious through the first part of the run. Pandora flaked out and I had to take my gloves off to mess with the iPhone just as I got into Mill Creek (about 4 miles in). Wow, that wind is chilly. It took a few minutes for my hands to start working normally once I got my gloves back on.

Realized my knew was bitchier, and my right hip flexor was starting to complain around mile 6, so I went ahead and took a GU, and as expected withing a few minutes the hip flexor was quiet and the knee was back down to a mumble.

Almost ended up saying nasty things about Garmy and the bezel and rain, but it came back to it's senses, and I didn't lose being in the HR training mode which was good for my mental state. :)

Took another GU around mile 10 as things were starting to get noisier again, and then had to do some random wandering around the neighborhoods to get the last 3/4 mile in. I was done at 12. No extra today. :) 12.03 miles in 1:59:59 (9:58/mile). I'm pretty dang happy with that pace. I certainly didn't think I was going to come in under 10.

Went up and thawed out in the shower. My Mom came over for the weekend, and to see Val at her first race. We all went shopping for race prep stuff for Val (she needed a jacket) and some stuff for little miss. The biggest surprise was a swing set for Kaitlyn. Thanks Mom!

Kaitlyn is currently obsessed with the swing seat that we got for her to use. It's sitting in the living room, where she gets in and out. And demands it be put in the sky. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My knee likes to complain too. I've named it "Cranky."