Tuesday, March 10, 2009

3/10 Run and Workout

Got out on Tuesday a little early at 11:30. That 30 minutes meant there were a lot fewer other runners out and about, until the return let. Weather.com had the temp at 34 degrees, so I went out with jacket, gloves and watch hat. Saw Jim about 1/4 mile in and he though I was going to be overdress. "And that's why I wear layers." :)

Got passed by a tiny (I mean super skinny) gal just gliding by around 2 miles in. Nice looking Brooks jacket that goes on the recommendation list for Val. I already felt like I was plodding along with my calves still stiff and tight. (they finally loosened up around mile 3. Really? I don't warm up now till 3 miles into a run? I think I need to do some faster runs. :))

run ended up being 5.3 in 51:22 (9:42/mile) @ 145bpm avg. It's kind of nice having a scheduled taper week. The plan is for around 30 this week. Then we'll see how things look after the Dash on Sunday.

-----------------------
Went to gym after Kaitlyn went down. (Though one for Val, if they misbehave during story time do you cut off story time and put them to bed (what we did), or do you do a timeout, then read again. Probably no right or wrong answer. (I hope. :))

modifying workout summary for my record keeping. :)

Initial Pushup Set: 34 ( down 2 from last workout, go figure...)

3 sets
C1: Stability Ball Crunches (5 second hold) - 10 reps
C2: Stability Ball Forward Rolls (5 second hold) - 10 reps

PlyoBox Step Ups and Jump Ups
P1: 18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Front - 10 reps
P2: 18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Sideways - 10 reps
P3: 18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Sideways Twist - 10 reps
J: 12" PlyoBox Jumps - 3 sets - 10 reps

Did P1, P2, P3, 1 min break (12" PlyoBox was in use so...), P1, P2, P3, 12" box was in use, so I just did the jumps using the 18". Tougher, and much more 'deliberate' than the short box. But I did them!!! (Big confidence booster for me. I don't feel like the most agile person most of the time, so this is a big 'step' :) for me.
Then I did P1,P2,P3 and the 18" PlyoBox Jumps again.

3 sets of each superset. One superset cluster at at time. 1 minute rest between sets.
SC1: Stability Ball Chest Press - 10 reps @ 27.5# (up from 25#)
SC2: Pushups - 12 reps ( having to go to knees for part of sets 2 and 3)

SB1: Dumbbell Rows - 10 Reps @ 17.5#
SB2: Free Motion Pulldowns - 12 Reps @ 20# (up from 17.5)

SS1: Overhead (Shoulder) Press - 10 reps @ 17.5# (up from 15#)
SS2: Shoulder Abduction - 12 reps @ 5#

SL1: Dumbell Squats - 10 reps @ 35# (I'm having more problems with my upper body with these than my legs. It may be time to consider 'real' squats.)
SL2: Stability Ball Leg Extension - 12 reps (hold for 2 top and bottom)(surprisingly hard by the third set)

2 sets
30 second Side Planks

Pullups
5@54, 5@60, 5@66

Bodyweight Dips
7, 5, 0 (tried for a third set. had nothing. :))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great strength training workout. Those leg exercises using stability balls look deceptively easy, but feel so hard.