Wednesday, June 3, 2009

6/3 Med Long Run

Decided to try something different to beat the heat. Took the bus into work, earlier than normal and ran before work. It sort of worked... it was 65 when I got in, close to when I left (around 8) and 75 when I finished

I found it interesting how the whole personality of the run changed by running earlier. Traffic, both road and sidewalk is different, as well as the types of people out and about. More bike commuters in the first hour, more moms and such out for walks the second hour. It even smells different too, fresher. Which makes sense

Fueled with thinned orange Hammer in flask at 3, 6, 9. Honey tastes better, interestingly.

I was really glad Val talked me out of the gym Tuesday night, after the run in the heat. Probably could have done upper body, but this heat is just destroying me.

This run brought up some interesting questions to spend some time looking at my logs. Like; do I peak second week of a up cycle? or was last week a fluke?


I haven't seen any Berners on my runs around South Lake Union till this run. And then I saw two within a 2 miles. The first was out for awlak with his owenr and a Newf. He was walking across the street with his back legs in a set of wheels. Made me tear up a little. 11 years old, an still going. Sweet boy.

And then a 5 year old girl out with some family friends and a pair of twin boys. Another seety. No barking, no harrasment. Need to get Toby back into training and work on his socialization again.

Got passed by a pair of triathlets, just loping along. Made me feel really slow. :) Long tall guys with easy strides. I'm getting there!

Got passed coming up Eastlake by a gal with her dog. Not notable except that her short socks had red tassels. :) Haven't seen socks like that in years!

Ran out of water (from both bottles) at mile 10. Got back and drank water from fountain till my teeth hurt from cold. :)

12.19 miles in 2:10:56 (10:44/mile) @ 142 bpm.

Tried something resembling single leg squats yesterday, not pistols (with leg out in front of you), don't have balance and flexibility for that, but can do a variation with almost a full range of motion. Cool!

Val stopped by the Nike outlet a bit ago and picked me up a compression shirt. In large (I wear mediums for most shirts now). Not going to be wearing this shirt for a while. :) It was super comfortable, and seemed to breathe really well. A little too revealing. :)

No comments: