Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bonus Run

3 miles in 32:14. Probably would have been around 31:00 but we stopped to try and diagnose my boss's foot numbness problems for a few minutes.

I hadn't intended to run 2 days in a row, but after I finished yesterdays run our Club Coordinator sent out a meeting request for a run after our 'class' this week. We had Eric Sach, the spouse of one of our other Coordinators, and a hardcore runner and owner of a running store, came in to give us a talk about shoe selection and training.

Wow! So much useful information, so little time. An the education continues on into the run. He just watched me run for a few seconds and asked if I had right knee pain (I do a little after some runs, just some tightness in knee). Apparently my right foot is externally rotated when I run (i.e. points out) and that is putting the stress on my knee. I ran in my ASICS and he wasn't thrilled with the support they were offering (they gave me shin pain as well, so they may burn somewhere) which is when it is lower shin, has to do with pronation (high is something else, need to remember). I tried my Sauconys on and ran for a few seconds when we got back, he said they were a little better, but he really need to do some before and after with the treadmill and videotape. I may have to drive down during lunch next week. Hope I don;t need new shoes.

Also stressed the need for a HR monitor. I'm, probably running too fast during training. This run was a bit slower and I was able to hold a conversation better than I do when I run with just my boss. This was fun group run because it wasn't just the 2 of us, so there were some conversations going on all around. I don't mind running with my boss, but I do enjoy running by myself on Saturdays, just to help clear my head. I think the biggest difference for me, beyond running partner was finishing Couch To 5K and going to mileage. Then I don;t worry about time, I just run till I know I need to turn around, and then run some more. It means I can concentrate on technique, etc instead of listening for queues or watching the clock, which is just depressing. Oh, he also suggested shorter strides and increased foot turnover. Going to have to practice that, it feels odd.

Now the big question is: Do I run tomorrow to stay on track, or do I just enjoy 2 days off before I do my first mileage increase run in the HH5210 plan (3.5 miles). Hmmmm...

2 comments:

*lisa* said...

Enjoy your days off. That way you'll be fresh for your "long run" haha. Seriously though. :)

HappyBlogChick said...

Wow, it sounds like you got some great advice. I'm kind of jealous! I always wondered if taking one of the running classes coordinated by a local running shoe store would be helpful - sounds like it might be. Hmmm. Something to consider. It's a future-thing for now, until I finish c25k.

I've never run 2 days in a row. It scares me. You are a brave man.