Friday, January 23, 2009

2009 Goals

Now, since I've covered the 2008 progress (except for neglecting the fact that I lost roughly 30 pounds last year), now for the goals for 2009.

First, the non running goals.

1. Consistently work on my core and supporting muscle groups. Running is what's most important to me, but if I don't strengthen and rebalance myself I'm going to have even more issues than I already have. The goal: 3 days a week of core/strength training barring illness, recovery, or tapers. Concentrating especially on anything that will work on Runners Knee, and pronation/foot control issues. Core is going to be a big deal if I really want to improve and/or survive the running plan for the year.

2. Consistently stretch. At a minimum with the foam roller/medicine ball. Start Yoga if I can find the time to do it consistently. Goal: Fully stretch every time I run (5 times a week) at least, every day if I can. Twice a day if I can find the time, or if things are being flaky.

3. Lose another 20 pounds. It would be another 15 pounds if I hadn't lost my mind after the marathon, and during the holidays. This is going to be a challenge. I've really enjoyed not being in 'calorie count' mode, but I just can't do it if I'm not.
I think I've posted that my goal weight was what I went to Basic as. I had stated that as being 168. I touched 169 at some point this year, and trust me, 168 isn't it. (Especially since Facebook has motivated me to dig out old photos.) So the goal is 155 to 158.

I had real challenges with this when training for Seattle, so we'll see how this works out. If nothing else I'll make this a year long goal instead of shooting for a pound a week, which is what I'm initially going to do.

4. Introduce some cross training into the mix. This is a lower priority goal than the first 3 but I'd like to spend some more time on the bike, possibly to the point of replacing one of my 5 milers with an equivalent on the bike (probably 20 miles) if that seems to be a good thing after some more research.

I'd like to get back on the water on a fairly regular basis this year. Kayaking is a pretty dang good core workout, and it's relaxing.

Running Goals:

1. Run with Val in her first race. And be a good pacer/running partner/sherpa. Val is rapidly chugging her way through Couch to 5K and will be running St. Patrick's Day Dash as her first race like I did. We've already asked my Mom to watch Kaitlyn while we run, and I've committed to Val that I'm runner at her pace. And I'll carry the water. :)

2. Beat my current marathon PR. I'd really like to hit 4 hours if I can at some point this year. I have two marathons written in the calendar in ink so far. Yakima River Canyon on April 4 and Rock and Roll Seattle on June 27. I'm not feeling super confident about Yakima after 2 weeks of missed training being sick, and with all the low heart rate 'base building' I've been doing. It's early in the training cycle, so I'm not going to get too worked up. Yet. The plan has me peaking at 50 miles a week instead of 40 for Seattle so I think that will help. I'm planning on adding other paced/HR Range runs back into the equation in February, so another week.

I'll probably use McMillan's ranges of workouts to guide my self built training plan.
McMillan has four categories of workout Endurance, Stamina, Speed, and Sprint. Supposedly I'll need to work on Stamina, Endurance, and Speed. In that order.
So long runs at around 70-75% HR and Steady state runs around 83-88%. I've got to do some more reading about his speed workouts and the variations on workouts that he uses.

If I don't achieve the time goals, that's mostly OK, since goal 3 overrides this to a certain degree.

3. My fall marathon depends on progress towards a longer term goal. I'm currently planning on running the Mount Si 50 Miler in April 2010. There's no way I could run this year's race at my level of fitness, and I've had it recommended as a good beginner's ultra by a number of people I trust. I'm actually anticipating that the Marathon Maniacs who've been encouraging me may get to have their way with me, and that I'll be running multiple fall marathons. At a training pace, mind you. :)

The overarching goal for the year, beyond goal 2, is to build my base to something consistently high. I'm planning to talk to Bruce, my ultrarunner boss, at some point in the next few weeks, after I do some more research to see what levels I need to be at by next year. And how to achieve that.

Goals 2 and 3 are what are driving the non running goals. There is no way I'm going to be able to build mileage, get faster, or run further if I can't shake the niggling spectre of injury. And the only way I'm going to be able to do that is to get stronger.

No comments: