Wednesday, January 7, 2009

1/6 Personal Training and Run - Treadmill

Had the first 'real' personal training appointment before the run.
Forgot to warm up so I did 5 minutes on bike at around 90rpm on 5. Thighs definitely burned. The bike really is a different set of muscles. I'm going to have to add more bike to my routine. Val suggested, given how her trainer makes her do 15 bike, 15 elliptical, then run, that I do the bike as my warm up instead of walking. That sounds a lot like work, though. :)

Workout ended up having a core and balance section
planks - hold 10 seconds, relax. 10 reps
hip extensions (heels on yoga ball) hold 10 secs, relax. 10 reps
one leg balance with lateral leg extension - 20 reps (10 per leg as I recall)

And then a circuit training component
seated db chest press on ball, 5# weights, slow count, 20 reps
standing db rows, 8# weights, slow count, 20 reps
seated overhead press, 5# weights, slow count, 20 reps
ball squats, slow count, 20 reps
90 seconds of rest, then repeat

The outside of my right calf had some nasty intermittent twinges for the better part of the run. Not sure if it was from the workout, or, more likely, from making the mistake of wearing a pair of my crap shoes to work.

6 miles @ 1%. Another slow run. It was really hot. ALL of the treadmills were filled, and a huge amount of the other equipment as well. It was super hot and I was sweating like a pig. Between the workout, and a crappy night's sleep I was tired, so this went slowly. 6.6 max (for 0.2), 4.6 low avg = forgot to get the info, probably close to 5.0

Hot gym, heavy shirt, even dri-fit == tender nipples, even after 5 miles. I'm just buying stock in Band Aids and being done with it.

No comments: