Friday, November 14, 2008

10/13 Run

I've never been happier that I run with my geeky little running hat, even at night, than I was last night. As I'm hammering my way up the last hill on the 5 miler I ran (nice and fast at 8:24/mile), I've got my head down, my glasses are fogging up, and I've got headlights in my eyes. Suddenly, I'm running into a lone Blackberry vine, hanging down from fricking nowhere. I jerk and fumble, try not to push it away with my hands, et snagged a little on both arms, and then run on. And realize my hat was gone. Look back and it's hanging in mid air... Captured by the vine. Ran back and recovered it, thankful that I didn't lose the side of my face.

Now I need to go back with a machete to make it safe for the next time I run. I really need to figure out who to call for stuff like this. Or the grass and dirt buildup along the fences on the sidewalk. Or the raccoon carcass that's been gradually getting flatter in some guys driveway over the last 2 months.

Run was about 43, which is the estimated temp for the marathon. It felt pretty comfortable with no rain. Hands were a little cold for the first mil, so a pair of throwaway gloves might not be a bad idea. Realized that if I'm going to pin GUs to my shorts, I should probably try that on a run. I'll do that on Saturday.

The Pearl's didn't squeak this, they 'crunched'. We may be going to balanced athlete to get Val some shoes this weekend. I suspect the Pearls are coming along for a consult. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the Race Ready shorts? I'm really liking mine and they have lots of pockets for your Gu so you don't have to mess with pins.

MomOf4 said...

I'm glad you got your hat back! Yikes! :)