Tuesday, November 11, 2008

10/10 Welcome Back Run

How do you explain a run to a non runner? Sometimes a run is so completely opposite, back and forth and mixed up that you sound like a nut job. So you don't even try. I really hope I can convince Val to start running. I'm trying to be subtle, but that just means I'm probably being obnoxious, since I'm never as subtle as I think I am.

What a great, hard, painful, wonderful, exhausting, relaxing run. So good to be back on the road after a week of nothing. Left the house around 9pm. Took my iPod with me for a change because I had been fighting some motivation and lower intestinal issues before the run. The warmup walk started with Katy Perry's Hot and Cold, which I listened to again to start the run, and I worked my way through the H's, clicking through till I found something suitably fast. I ran to 132nd and decided I didn't want to cross it so I doubled back early. I I hit Bond's Hungarian just at 2.75 and that was perfect to bring me in to the normal stop of the run. I decided to add the next two miles to meet my goal(forgetting that this leg was only a mile) and went past the start/stop point the other direction down the hill, up the hill, turn around, down up and I'm done. Nothing left. At all. And my knee/thigh was bothering me a little, so called it a night.

Warm night about 48, but in just the Nike shorts, my butt and upper hamstrings, and some thigh were a little cold. I'm a little worried about wearing just these in 40 degree weather for the marathon. We'll see how that pans out.

I thought this was a really fast run, and it is one of the top 10 probably. I was ecstatic at the time, and need to remember how that felt. I've been looking at my run log and talking myself out of being happy with my performance, because it wasn't as fast as I thought it was.

It's so frustrating to me. I had a great blog post in my head on the bus. Once I got into class I managed to dump most of it. And now it's all disjointed and choppy.

MomOf3...not ignoring you. :) I'm now an Oracle DBA. No BMC software in our shop. :)

Found this video (I'm pretty sure this isn't where I found it the first time.) of David Goggins the ultra runner a few weeks ago on another blog. Now that it's completely irrelevant and out of the blog consciousness I'll link to it again and comment on it. :) I'm never going to be as driven as this guys, but I think it's pretty danged impressive.

I really like one of the quotes from this video. "When your body says it's done, you've only done 40% of what you're capable of." (OR something pretty close to that.) This got me through one of the tough spots of my long runs a few weeks ago, and I'm thinking about writing 40% on the back of my hand on marathon day as a reminder.

3 comments:

YoungLegz said...

Thank you for writing about Mr. Goggins. This guy is an amazing story and American hero. I first read about him running this race in Death Valley two years ago, and he's inspired me to exercise and improve my physical health. Goggins is above and beyond anyone else!!!

J said...

I like that 40% rule. Hopefully that will help in your marathon. Like maybe at mile 10.5, when you've done 40%!

runningtwig said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog...I teach at an Episcopal school and I speak during our daily chapel a few times a year...that is how they know about my faith!