Monday, September 8, 2008

First Over 2 Hour Run

13.25 miles in 2:11:37 (9:56/mile)

Got out late on Saturday night (I think I see a trend here. :)) Left the house at 9:15, got back around 11:30. Managed to not have Toby bark at me as I came in which was nice, since Kaitlyn was a pain to get to bed. Took me about 3 tries to get out the door since I kept forgetting stuff.

I'm going to have to give the nuun triberry a new try. I had the citrus for this run, and realized it needs 1.5 tabs for the 22oz. bottles I use, not one, like I used last week. The flavor was much more distinct when it's mixed properly. :) Not a bad flavor.

Tried both CLIF Bloks (Lemon Lime; very subtle. Sports Beans in the same flavor are much more flavorful) and GU (Chocolate Outrage; chocolaty... not a lot of this hit my tongue, I slammed it back pretty fast) this run. I think I've settled on some form of gel, Gu, Hammer, whatever, instead of Bloks or Beans. The chewing (and breathing) is just too much of a pain. I can slam a gel in no time flat and it doesn't affect my running. I'm leaning towards the Hammer Gels because the consistency seems a bit better. I think there are some other vendors I should try too.

I must be getting older. :) Or my contacts need to be adjusted. I had trouble reading the small display on my watch all run, even with IndiGlo, and I had printed all of the splits on a piece of paper so I'd remember where they were. Had to stop for a few seconds every mile to even be able to read it. I'll print them in a bigger font next time, and If I can't get better contacts I may just run in my glasses. bleah...

Ran a mostly new route through Mill Creek. Would have been a little nicer to have run it about an hour earlier so I had better light. Some of the sidewalks along the highway are windy and hidden by bushes and trees, and my key chain flashlight isn't really cutting it. More terrain on this route than on my normal 10 miler route, so I'm feeling pretty good about the whole run.

Felt it a bit in the outside of my hips and knees and a little in my left ankle, but everything seemed better Sunday morning when I woke up. Could tell I was tired at about mile 12 when I had to stop for a light and was wobbly. I was fine running, just squirrely standing still.

On a side note, I have discovered the hard way that CLIF bars (not the nectar organics, mind you) have a really heavy soy component. And I don't deal with it well. Since they are convenient and tasty I'm trying to use beano and see how it goes. This will be the first day of trying it. We'll see. :)

And possibly not the best choice for recovery hydration or nutrition, but we spent 3 hours at the zoo on Sunday. Kaitlyn had a blast, and I didn't start to whimper until just before we left, so I guess I was feeling pretty good. :)

splits:
10:04
10:12
9:39
9:42
9:50
10:26
10:39
10:29
8:49 knew this was fast when I ran it. bad section of road with no sidewalk and no shoulder
10:42\ avg 9:40 missed my mile marker badly
8:38 /
10:17
10:00
2:10 (8:41 pace)

1 comment:

MomOf4 said...

Wow! This is awesome! I hope to be there some day too! Good for you!!! 2 hours of running is fantastic!!!