Friday, December 18, 2009

12/10 Run and Workout

Another chilly run at work 31ish when we left, 35 by the time we got back. Actually did without the jacket, but kept the gloves.

Caught Bruce just as he was about to leave, and we decided to run the lake together. As we were walking out of the garage, Bruce said what are some of the most feared words in my running vocabulary. "Want to run Queen Anne?" What am I going to say? No? :)

So after a brutal slog up Queen Anne, to the base of the antennas, which involved more than a little bit of walking, we finally tipped over the top and started on the quad destroying downhill. But I could breathe. So, win! I was also able to use my time honored tactic for getting a few breath's when running with Bruce. Ask an open ended question about a running subject that Bruce enjoys, and let him talk. Grunt at the appropriate times. :)

So I asked some questions about 50 miler training. Starting with the back-to-back vs. single long run question. He's pretty much a fan of back to backs, with the ideal being that your weekend total be close to race distance (say 45 miles total), and about half your weekly mileage. For him, 90 mpw is a good target goal for a 50 miler. Given that the likely hood of that mileage happening in this training cycle borders on negative infinity (I think I might be able to pull off 70 or so)

Just as we finish this discussion, Bruce show me a neat trick to cut back under the Aurora Bridge. We're only 2.5 miles into the run at this point, and I'm already trashed, and suddenly we're on the Ship Canal Trail, about to cross under the bridge. I think "maybe we're headed back to the office, and 'run the lake' was just a euphemism". And then... "Oh, god, we're going up the stairs. Shit. We're really going all the way around." :)

A couple of miles later, we run into Jake, who is out for a flu laden run, and we run with him for a few miles till he heads back to work and we pop up onto Eastlake.

Somewhere in here was more advice about 50 milers and longer runs that appears to have trickled out of my brain. We trotted back into the building and I survived to run another day. :)

7.35 miles in 1:07:30 (9:11/mile) @ 159 bpm

------------------------------------------------
Evening workout

By Thursday I was still thrashed from overdoing on Tuesday. It was actually painful to sleep on my sides on Wednesday night my obliques were so sore... Doh!

C2 Rowing Machine - 500 meters on 5.5 in 2:24S.
lack of core, thanks to soreness, made it hard to row.

Initial Pushup Set: 2, before I dropped to the ground in agony.

Completely unable to do core exercises

Box jumps were excruciating, but I was able to get them done.

2 sets as supersets
18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Front - 10 reps each leg
18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Sideways - 10 reps each leg
18" PlyoBox Step and Hold - Sideways Twist - 10 reps each leg
18" PlyoBox Jumps - 3 sets - 10 reps


12" PlyoBox Single Leg Jumps- 1 set - 10 reps each leg

2 sets of each superset. One superset cluster at at time. 1 minuteish rest between sets.
SC1: Stability Ball Chest Press - 10 reps @ 25#
SC2: Pushups - 15 reps
pushups were on the knees after the first two or three

SB1: Dumbbell Rows - 10 Reps @ 25#
SB2: Free Motion Pulldowns - 12 Reps @ 25#

SS1: Overhead (Shoulder) Press - 10 reps @ 17.5#
SS2: Shoulder Abduction - 12 reps @ 8#

SL1: Dumbell Squats - 10 reps @ 45#
SL2: Stability Ball Leg Extension - 12 reps

No comments: